• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bucket List Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keb

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've wanted to do this for years and finally did it. Now I have another bucket list item completed.

48gun008.jpg

48gun009.jpg

48gun010.jpg

Interesting... :hmm: :thumbsup: There is a fowler that I always see at Friendship that has the stock painted baby blue. It actually looks pretty good.

Good job!

Keb Your a Man of Few words!..Tells us the How's and Why's
This is a "first"(new) rifle finish for me. Thanks...dan

Hows = The gun is a .55 cal smoothbore x 48" long barrel. .980 @ breech tapering .100" x 12" to the wedding band. Round is tapered from .865" to .750 @ the muzzle. The lock is a Chambers Colonial Virginia. I started out with a blank that was sawed pretty much into the shape it is now. I routed the barrel channel & ramrod groove out with a yard sale Craftsman router. Brass appointments & trigger were left over from other projects. The pull is 13 3/4" and it weighs 7 1/2 LBS. I'm still experimenting with the finish. Since the bright blue pics, I've rubbed it back a bit and splashed some stain on the stock. I'm guessing it'll be OK but it doesn't really matter if it isn't. I am having fun with it.
Whys = It's an old guy thing.

Keb said:
Whys = It's an old guy thing.
Some young guys like 'em, too.

"Revolutionary Records, Volume I (Virginia)", by Gaius Marcus Brumbaugh, page 237.

"...the youth of Williamsburg formed themselves into a military corps and chose Henry Nicholson as their Capt.; that on Dunmore's flight from Williamsburg, they repaired to the magazine and armed themselves with blue painted stock guns kept for the purpose of distributing among the Indians, and equip't as the minute men volunteers in military garb,..."

Spence

I went to the farm today and shot this gun. 50 gr 3f, .526" ball, .018" pillow tick & spit. I didn't use a vent liner, just a .063" hole & it goes off good with 4f prime. 5 shots at 25 yds in a 2" circle. That's close enough for the girls I hang out with.

Back