• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle impossible to load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryon said:
well seeing as he builds custom guns and runs his own gunshop....and happens to be a member of the American Custom Gun Makers Guild (http://www.acgg.org/index.php/component/comprofiler/userprofile/Jseeley.html?tab=24

I would assume he knows what he is doing...as for the lead...they are hornady balls...im just thinking that i need a smaller ball and i should be fine ...so ill ahve to fire up the melting pot....as i cant find any store bought .440 balls

I started making MLs in the 1960s and own my own shop too. I make custom guns and have since the late 1960s I just never saw a good reason to join a guild. After some urging I did join the MT Historical Gunmakers Guild, however.
I also shoot MLs competitively.
That the majority of gunsmiths may not know siccum about BP guns was my point.
Now had you stated you had asked an experienced ML gunsmith I would not have bothered trying to help you. But I do wonder how it is if you went to him with the problem that you found it necessary to come here to resolve it.
I also assume that since you came here for advice AFTER talking to him you probably did not listen very well to what he told you, or you asked the wrong questions.

Dan

I would ahve have to disagree with your hypothesis kind sir. I ahve learned in my span of years that its always best to gather as much information regarding whatever it is that you wat to know . I asked him what the bore diameter was and he told me . I did not specifiy as to how i wanted it measured...as i didnt know there was a difference. Also I always come back to this forum as the members are very well informed and I try to apply what advice they have to offer as best I can. and i ahve yet to be steered wrong! As for the listening ....well im a firm believer in the old belief that you learn more when you close your mouth and open your ears... also ...If a doctor told you that you only had months to live ...would you get a second opinion? I dont put all of my apples into one basket...theres nothing wrong with asking more than once as it is a fool who follows blindly in the advice of another....regardless of who they are

My only front stuffer is a 50 cal hawken cheapy and I use a home-poured.49 cal ball. The first patch I ever used was cloth. Some old sheet or rag. After 2 shots it was impossible to load.
So I switched to paper. Plain old Sunday newspaper. A century's worth of wadding for 3 bucks. Now I can shoot all day with no problem.

Grenadier1758 said:
Bryon said:
The barrel is unknown....I took it to a local gunsmith and he measured the bore with micrometers'...said it was .455-.456....the balls I have are .455...I have a .440 mold so I guess I'll just cast some balls and see how they fit. Its actually the rifle that a member of the forum built for me....we think its van ed rayle barrel. But no way to be certain

If the balls are 0.455, you will have quite a devil of a time getting it started in a rifle of 0.455 bore. Ball measuring 0.445 will require a short starter and maybe a judicious tap of the starter with a mallet.

A simple calculation assuming a land to land measurement of 0.455:

A patch o 0.015 will compress to about half its thickness, leaving room for a 0.440 ball. You should be able to start a 0.437 ball with your thumb. No offense if you use a mallet. What material are you using for the lead ball? Soft lead is required or even the 0.440 ball will be hard to start. So far no problems have been identified that can't be resolved by properly matching ball, patch and patch lube.

This may just be one of those cases where you don't want to force the ball, but you may have to get a bigger hammer.

i was beginning to think i was the only one who realized this. yes, if you're trying to load a .455 ball it's going to be way too tight. try a .440 or .445 ball, it'll load alot easier. :2

Soft lead is very forgiving. The ball is bore sized as soon as it is seated below the muzzle. For years we used .457 balls in our target rifles with Douglas barrels. The patching wad denim. This was a target/range only load and required a small brass hammer and short-short starter. But, it was an accurate load. I once saw Webb Terry show up at one of our weekend get togethers with a lever operated loading device. He put a grossly oversized ball into a .38 cal. target barrel with it. The NMLRA gave him legal clearance to use it in matches because, technically, he was loading a roundball. But Webb never used it figuring he was really shooting a bullet from a target grade slug gun barrel. The point is "impossible" is not possible using soft lead. If the OP finds it "impossible" to load his rifle, other factors not yet discussed are involved.

Bryon- no one has mentioned it but WITHOUT a patch- does the ball easily roll in and out of the bore?

Bryon said:
The barrel is unknown....I took it to a local gunsmith and he measured the bore with micrometers'...said it was .455-.456....the balls I have are .455...I have a .440 mold so I guess I'll just cast some balls and see how they fit. Its actually the rifle that a member of the forum built for me....we think its van ed rayle barrel. But no way to be certain

Maybe I missed something, but you're saying the bore measured .455-.456 and the balls are .455 which are the same as the bore. I think you need .445 balls, not .455. My .54 likes .535 balls and my .40 likes .390 balls. Like I say, I may have missed something as I just kind of skimmed the posts.

Going back and looking at the posts, I see Cap Smacker saw the same thing.

The initial post said,

"I took my new rifle to the range and attempted to load a .440 ball..."

For a .45 caliber gun, that should work nicely with a .015- .018 thick patch.

Well to assuage everyone's fears.....I'm eating my humble pie. I figured out why I couldn't load a ball.... when I went to the range I grabbed a spar short starter... Well um... Err... Ahhhh. It was kinda to large for the barrel.... It's a .490 diameter starter in .455 bore..... doesn't work so well... so after I got picked on at the range by NY bp club.... I grabbed the right starter and smooth as gLASS

Glad to hear you got things working. :)

More than a few times when I was at the range I've grabbed the wrong box of roundballs and tried to stick a .490 ball down a .45 caliber barrel. :rotf:

In fact I seem to remember one time that I took my .45 and .50 cal rifles to the range only to find that I had packed the .490 and .535 diameter balls.

The .50 got a workout but I didn't even have to clean the .45 when I got home. :grin:

The real man to watch is not the man who always does everything right because he never has any problems to solve. Nor does one want to watch the man who is always screwing up because he is simply not paying attention or is ignorant. The man to watch is the one who usually does everything right but when he screws up, he knows how to fix it or work around it. That's the man who can teach you something.

I hate it when that happens!

Bryon said:
Well to assuage everyone's fears.....I'm eating my humble pie. I figured out why I couldn't load a ball.... when I went to the range I grabbed a spar short starter... Well um... Err... Ahhhh. It was kinda to large for the barrel.... It's a .490 diameter starter in .455 bore..... doesn't work so well... so after I got picked on at the range by NY bp club.... I grabbed the right starter and smooth as gLASS

I'm glad ya found the problem! :grin: I have forgotten stuff also, but since the range is only around 8 miles away I can go back an get it with hardly anytime wasted.

Bryon said:

That's the type thing that no matter who you talked to or how much experience they had, they couldn't have helped you.....

My grandpa Legg once went coon hunting but couldn't find his dog when he got to his hunting start point. Went home and griped about the %*$^ dog to grandma who let the dog out of the trunk of the car. baxter

Latest posts

Back