• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Final tune-up session for Saturday's Turkey opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
At a final hands-on range session today before Saturday’s turkey opener, I finished up a couple of normal 2” sticker targets on a paper plate at 30yds, shooting from a seated hunting position.

I had a spare full size turkey target with me, and 7 balls / patches left, decided to shoot it before I left.
Three patches were normal factory Oxyoke prelubed patches I always use.
Four patches were the same except left over from a previous batch I had saturated with Hoppe’s liquid.

I’ve used Oxyoke prelubed patches with Hoppes +BP liquid added for years while shooting PRBs out of rifles at the range, with no significant change in accuracy. But the difference of the 4 slippery wet patches out of the 42” smoothbore barrel today were very surprising.

040913AccuracyWithandWOHoppesadded_zpsd7910617.jpg

I don't know how the 3 ox-yoke only balls left smaller holes than one using the hopes-lube added? anyway it looks like a dead turkey which ever one you use!. BTW at what range were these shot at?.

I think the ox yoke only holes would look just as big if they had the same pasties on them. :wink:

Hope you get your gobbler, Roundball. If you get a shot, it's as good as "in the oven"! :thumbsup: Going out with the .36 myself this weekend.

Smoothbore with shot only here in Michigan. I'd sure like to take a Tom with my J Brennan .36.. :hmm:

NWTF Longhunter said:
Smoothbore with shot only here in Michigan. I'd sure like to take a Tom with my J Brennan .36.. :hmm:

I've taken one with a CVA 12 ga. s x s and one with a Pedersoli 10 ga. s x s. Hope to do it with the flinter this season.

Thanks as I'll need some luck just to get a longbeard in my sights, and I'm really pumped for the 2013 season.
I retired the first of 2012 but had so much "retirement transition adjustment stuff" going on I really couldn't get into turkey season.
But this spring I'm ready, and particularly hopeful I'll get a chance to close the deal on one with a PRB like the settlers usually did (albeit out of a smoothbore).

good luck RB wish we could use a ball or rifle here in Tn but TWRA says no go.Guess I'll just have ta use shot in Mz Maureen. :grin:

majg1234 said:
good luck RB wish we could use a ball or rifle here in Tn but TWRA says no go.Guess I'll just have ta use shot in Mz Maureen. :grin:
And Mz Maureen has proven herself well...you still have any TN season left?

yep Tn Season goes to middle of May,birds have gotten quiet now but still seeing some Looooong beards saw 5 saturday with 2 hens in a field all the "guys" were strutting and large but 100yrds plus away.I got busted by them pretty easily as i tried to move in.Grandson got in ones bedroom had a single gobble from less than 25yrds just @ flydown but bird wouldn't come in :td: .We're trying again this weekend

True that...didn't matter today though, LOL.
Sat on his territory all afternoon until 6:00pm where I'd heard him gobble Saturday and Monday AMs, calling softly every 30 minutes...nada...never heard or saw the first thing.

Planning to go again Friday and Saturday...Friday because rain and possible T-storms are forecast...and Saturday after the front has moved through and on out.

good luck.....we're trying Sat PM,Sun all day.SWMBO has something for me to do Sat AM :surrender: :grin:

Back