• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint sharpining tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudd turtle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The other day I found in my shop a couple of spike nails and decided that I would try to make a tool to nibble an edge on to my flint when it gets dull. Cut the head and tip off two of the big nails and filed and polished the ends . Next I will heat the nails to cherry red and quince them in used motor oil to harden them . Do you think the nails can be harden this way ? Mudd turtle.

They might harden some. Ultimately, a tool such as your describe doesn't need to be hardened to function. Brass, copper and antler will also work.

I'm curious, why not just use the back of your belt knife to sharpen the flint? Works very well and you always have it with you anyways....

For some reason, softer materials like brass, copper etc. are preferred for flint knapping. They seem to chip out larger flakes.

mudd cut the nail off square on the bottom, then file a small square sholder in about the bottom 1/8 to 1/4 inch of it, place the squared sholder on the edge of the face of the flint n tap down, a small portion will chip away, square up the face starting from one side to the other across the strikeing face, reset your flint in the hammer to get a good spark n burn some powder
hope this is understandable, n helps some, just a thought, Birdman

Thanks Bird man : Here is what I have done so far. I cut off the head 1/4 inch below the head and the marks on the body of the big nail, to me it is more like a spike. Next I cut off the tip about 1/8 of an inch and now have a stright piece of round steel about the size of a wooden pencil. Last thing I have done is file both ends smoth and gotten rid of the hack saw marks then polished the ends smooth and bright. I will take your suggestion and do that work next. Thank you for the help. I really thought that if I heated that big old nail to cherry red and quinced it in used motor oil I could harden it,but Wick says it want harden. Thank you both for your suggestions and help. Mudd Turtle.

Back