• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

range construction question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I am constructing a new range at home. The backstop will be a cut into the side of a high hill. I already have it dug back so the back stop is 20 feet high. I only shoot lead projectiles and black powder guns, so a long range flier won't be possible. The nearest house behind the range is over a mile. The closest one to the side is about 350 yds perpendicular from the back stop, as well as over the top of the hill. Part of the back stop bank is a rock outcropping of loose shale. I'm not sure what I can use to cover the shale to prevent balls from ricocheting. One buddy works at a quarry and can get old 3/8 inch conveyor belting. He suggested I hang the belting as something which will absorb the energy of the round balls. He says the belting would give with the impact like throwing a baseball into a heavy curtain and then let the round balls fall to the ground.

I know he uses a piece of belting behind his 50 ft pistol range and it stops standard vel 22 rf just fine. Does it sound feasible

Only checked one farm and ranch supply I googled on the web, then got this when I used their search for "trailer mat."

That's more expensive than the trailer mat we get at local farm supply stores, but it gives you the idea. It's a thick spongy rubber pad. Dandy stuff for what you need, I'm sure. Of course, free conveyor belting is even better for you if it meets the need.

Aha. Went back to the site and found what I was looking for at about half the price.

Best would be to go to a ranch supply if there's one nearby and look firsthand, maybe save shipping if you like what you see.

The other thing you might consider, is planting vegetation on either side of the range on the firing line. Conifers are best because they work year round. That'll cut down the crosswinds, and noise exiting the range. "egg carton" sound baffles near the firing line will help too. Basically, anything soft and flexible that will absorb and disperse the sound waves.

If he works in a quarry, ask him if they have sand, the usual and useful by product of such operations. lay it on the shale at least a foot or so thick. I would do that even with the belting.
Robby

I was thinking that if you are dug in that deep you should be good to go. I am not sure where you live but around here the noise is what causes problems. I guess iy all depends on your neighbors and your relationship with them. Geo. T.

My dads make is made of plywood for a target stand, then large rubber mats as you discribed but layer about 3 ft apart then backed up by a large dirt mound. He has the bottom framed in with wood. Best part is it stops the rounds in the first mat well and yes the fall into the plywood which makes it easy to collect and remelt to make them round again. I was sceptical but it works well. But the rubber mats about around 3/4 inch thick are only secured to the top so they move with the bullet impact, so far not one round has made it through the first mat and its holding up well, the face was getting shot up after a few years but he flipped it over and good as new. We avoid sand because we reuse the lead and don't want sandy lead. 12 ga 1 oz slugs wouldnt even shoot through and 35 yards.

Like Geo, methinks you are good to go from your description. Extra plantings might be a good idea also.
Use and enjoy. :grin:
BTW, your local weld shop is your friend when it comes to having target frames made. I use construction black board for backing.

Stumpkiller said:
I shoot into a dirt hillside and then use a metal detector to recover & reuse the lead. A pile of dirt-filled tires behind a plywood target face is a good backstop as well.

My backstop is a big brush pile. We have had several bad storms that brought down a lot of trees. I had the clean up guys put it all in one pile and I add to it with scrap from my shop. Downside is no lead recovery possible.

Freebie old truck tires piled flat one by one in columns while filling with dirt can work well if properly constructed. And, metal recovery is somewhat simplified.

the quarry belt sound as though they will work out very well for you. i agree with the suggestion about the trees- the acoustic baffle will cut the noise a good bit. the trees will also give you something to attach a fence ( high tensile wire ) so you can attach signs which warn of a range ...

i know it sounds dumb, but i was at a range when (thankfully, the range was cold and we were checking targets) two folks wandered out of the woodline and onto the lanes, asking where was the shooting range and who did they talk to about the shooting, and could they borrow a gun 'cause they wanted to shoot. Had the range been hot, obviously someone might have easily been hurt or killed. I was a guest, so i didn't have to deal with these folks. Didn't go back.

I did ask around quietly, and it seems that there was no barrier or warning signs, so i could see how someone who knew nothing might have wandered into such a situation.

just a thought... perhaps the NMLRA or NRA could provide you some guidance.

good luck with your project- let us know how it turns out!

make good smoke!

Back