• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rust Preventative

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can Track of The Wolf Mink oil be used as a rust preventative, also if the Birchwood Barricade is used, does the barrel have to be cleaned out before shot

yes any time you use a lube/rust preventative you need to clean it out before loading.

Barricade is some excellent stuff to use.

When using any modern oil for rust preventive clean the bore before shooting. Some folks on this forum will use brake cleaner, choke&carb cleaner or 90% rubbing alcohol. The main point is to remove petroleum products before shooting or you have a tar like goo in your bore which is very hard to remove when cleaning.......................watch yer top knot.................

All oils, no matter what kind, must be removed from your bore before loading.

I don't know anything about the mink oil that you asked about but unless it is specified for rust protection, it probably is not intended for that use. Personally, I'd stick with something like Rem-Oil or Barricade as a rust preventive oil.

It might work but a spray can of PB Blaster or CLP would be easier to spray in the barrel. For removal I use cheap Auto Zone Carb. or Break cleaner. I buy several when it's on sale! Geo. T.

Buford said:
When using any modern oil for rust preventive clean the bore before shooting. Some folks on this forum will use brake cleaner, choke&carb cleaner or 90% rubbing alcohol. The main point is to remove petroleum products before shooting or you have a tar like goo in your bore which is very hard to remove when cleaning.......................watch yer top knot.................
100% right on! I use brake cleaner or alcohol.

Okay thankyou for the info. I do have Rem-oil and denatured alchohol, I also have some Hoppes Elite gun oil and a can of 3-1 oil all should work correct, so is it safe to say that any rust prevetative will work? Then clean with the alchohol before shooting the weapon.

so is it safe to say that any rust prevetative will work? Then clean with the alchohol before shooting the weapon.
Yup, :thumbsup:
The 3 in 1 is kinda light, I like oils that'll "stick". My go to is the common gun oil Hoppes #9 Lubricating oil.

Back