• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

good kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruzer1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm pondering a few things for my next build, but wondering what would be a good pistol kit (50 cal, single shot) to go with the Hawkens I am building?

I'd look at the Lyman Plains Pistol kit. Good piece, reliable, well made for the money.

1+ on the Lyman kit. I am building one myself at this time. Just got the barrel and nosecap back from being blued and starting on the wood.

At the time I ordered, Midsouth Shooters Supply had the lowest price including shipping that I was able to find online.

Kit is well made and should look great once finished.

Dan

Vote three for the lyman! However I have a hard time getting past the $40 delta between the pistol and kit! I just hate to work that cheap! Geo. T.

I know there is a small difference :) However I can fit and polish better than most factory folks. Also I am glutton and love to spend the time finishing the wood and metal.

Plus a slow rust blue finish is such a tougher and better looking finish than about anything from the factory- I've even been tempted to redo some of my new guns :shocked2: So a kit gun is my preference, even if some would call me crazy :rotf:

I won't call you crazy.

There are a lot of us who really enjoy making things with our hands and take great pride in what we make.

Given that the factories are just slapping the finish on a bunch of machine made parts while the builder of a kit has hand fitted and finished the parts, it's no wonder that a well made kit is better than the factory made guns.

Of course there are a bunch of people who are not handy with finishing wood and metal and getting the pieces together and that's OK too.
The factories make a pretty good product for them.

For some, those would be good choices but not for all.

As you know, the kits sold by Lyman, Traditions, Pedersoli and the other large companies are basically factory guns which were removed from the production line and require little more than sanding, applying a finish and screwing them together.
All of the necessary machining has been done to them.

The "kits" offered by Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica River, TVM etc. are really just a box of roughed out or as cast parts (except for the lock).
Many of these do not have the breech plug installed in the barrel, the dovetails for the sights and barrel underlug machined, the screw holes located, drilled or threaded.

Actually, these more advanced kits take almost as much work and knowledge as making a longrifle from a barrel, breech plug, trigger, lock and a pre-carved stock.
The only real difference is the size of the parts.

Many of us find building these advanced kits to be a interesting and rewarding hobby but doing this is not for those who don't have a fair knowledge of metal and wood work.
That's why we added the Gun Builder's Bench to the forum. It provides a wealth of information and knowledgable builders for the new builders. :)

:confused: Well, he did say he was building a couple Hawkens (I assume rifles) I just figured the skills would translate. :doh:

Back