• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I shoot BP Revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first was a pietta colt clone. 1851 navy in brass. I love the gun. My second is a pietta New army remington. I love the gun. :grin:

The handleing of the colt to me just feels alittle better. The grip is really nice and fits really well. the remingtons handle doesn't fit quite as good for me but I like the sturdiness of the remington design. The top strap and the ease of swaping cylinders.
It really will be what you like.

Just remember, movies are edited!

Marc Adamchek said:
I never got into shooting BP revolvers, mainly because they seemed to be such a pita. I remember when Cabela's or GanderMountain were selling all their Colt BP revolers at clearance prices, I almost dove in and got a couple.

Lately, it seems I've been thinking about trying it out against my better judgement. I admit, watching movies like Josie Wales have kinda pushed me into considering it. So convince me it's not a big hassle, then tell me what revolver I should start with.

I'd suggest a .44 cal as the thunder is captivating! I generally end up with at least someone coming by to ask about it, if not several.

You can always reduce your charge if you want to conserve powder.

And the .44 gives you the ability to hunt with it if you so choose.

Marc,

I shoot my Pietta Remmy NMAs a lot and, as has been said already, the additional “hassle” in using them is worth the effort. Now I cheated a little bit. Not only did I buy the two revolvers, but I also bought 8 extra cylinders. When I compete in CAS I just load all the cylinders and I am good to go for the entire day. I also use Cream of Wheat on top of the powder charge instead of wads. It is cheaper and my revolvers shoot a lot better with them than wads.

I going to be buying a few more NMAs in the near future, my CAS club is allowing me to shoot in the Josey Wales category as a test. What this means is that I get to use pistol only for all the targets. No shotgun or rifle and I get to shoot Gunfighter style on the pistol portion of the stage, shooting two pistols as fast as you can while alternating shots with them both is one hell of a lot of FUN.

Go for it. If you like BP shooting, as you obviously do, you won’t regret getting a cap n’ baller.

Since a great many of us wind up getting a ’51 Colt anyway, I would start with that. There is just something about the shape of that model that makes it captivating. There is an elegance in the lines that captures ones attention immediately and the balance as well as fit to the hand is perfect. I would add that the octagon barrel really sets it off I believe. I would suggest a Uberti because of the lack of stampings all over the gun that the Pietta’s carry. On the Uberti the stampings are under the loading lever out of sight. Not a problem with most but with me aesthetics are everything. Like stated above it’s a .32 so for starting off, powder will not be a major concern. And while my initial concerns about quality forced me to lean on the Uberti’s as well as the lack of stampings, I understand the quality of the Pietta’s has improved lately. If the stampings don’t bother you then the Pietta’s are generally cheaper. At any rate, it has been my discovery as well as many others that have so stated, that you will more than likely add to your purchase once begun. You are about to open the proverbial can of worms that once opened will not be sealed. You will no doubt not only covet one of each of the available models but over the years acquire doubles/triples/quads of your favorite models. You have been warned.

I have read these posts and I really can not add very much! I have a 1860 Army replica and a Remmington 44. I shoot them once in a while and I come home asking myself WHY! However I know have the hots for a colt second gereration. In reading these posts I was thinking that we need a meeting! I will stand up and say my name is Geoirge and I have a problem! :haha: Geo. T.

One other suggestion (gasp!), if you really like the percussion sixguns but would prefer not to mess with caps, balls, wads and blackpowder, you could always get a factory cartridge conversion.

Oh no you didn't! :nono:

Chilidog said:
Since a great many of us wind up getting a ’51 Colt anyway, I would start with that. There is just something about the shape of that model that makes it captivating. There is an elegance in the lines that captures ones attention immediately and the balance as well as fit to the hand is perfect. I would add that the octagon barrel really sets it off I believe. I would suggest a Uberti because of the lack of stampings all over the gun that the Pietta’s carry. On the Uberti the stampings are under the loading lever out of sight. Not a problem with most but with me aesthetics are everything. Like stated above it’s a .32 so for starting off, powder will not be a major concern. And while my initial concerns about quality forced me to lean on the Uberti’s as well as the lack of stampings, I understand the quality of the Pietta’s has improved lately. If the stampings don’t bother you then the Pietta’s are generally cheaper. At any rate, it has been my discovery as well as many others that have so stated, that you will more than likely add to your purchase once begun. You are about to open the proverbial can of worms that once opened will not be sealed. You will no doubt not only covet one of each of the available models but over the years acquire doubles/triples/quads of your favorite models. You have been warned.

Oops... When getting excited I often type too fast and overlook typos. That caliber is supposed to be .36 not .32.

Hey, buying ammo is a big pain in the wallet. Reloading for my SA's, is a pita. I'm retired, but on the lazy side, now. Some days, it's just easier to grab a can of Alliant Black MZ, some balls, wads, and caps, slow down and enjoy the day. I pre-measure some loads in tiny plastic tubes. Clean-up is not that bad with this powder, and I save my black powder for my flintlocks.

If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the fiddler.

That should be a 5-2. It is what we responded to the brass with. It's a 1/2 Asd 10-4

In response to Marc Adamchek

To save time at the range, look into making paper cartridges. Link

Marc Adamchek said:
I never got into shooting BP revolvers, mainly because they seemed to be such a pita. I remember when Cabela's or GanderMountain were selling all their Colt BP revolers at clearance prices, I almost dove in and got a couple.

Lately, it seems I've been thinking about trying it out against my better judgement. I admit, watching movies like Josie Wales have kinda pushed me into considering it. So convince me it's not a big hassle, then tell me what revolver I should start with.

I have a Ruger Old Army and then I recently build a Hawken .50. Personally, if I had to pick one, I would say the rifle is a much bigger pita than the Ruger. If you want to speed up the loading process then you can buy cigarette paper and role your own powder loads.

However, more generally speaking I think that if you start using any 19th century technology with a 21st century mindset, you are just asking for trouble. The world moves too fast these days. Blackpowder wants you to slow down to enjoy the process of using it.

Thanks squirrel buster and P S 1836, but you guys are late to the party. I've learned A LOT from other members since posting this.

I guess I should mention that I've also bought 3 Uberti Colt replicas since posting this, so my question is answered(!).

SB, I AM looking into paper cartridges because they seem interesting, but I'll probably end up loading directly more often than paper.Still, many thanks for the link.

And I love other Blackpowder pursuits in all their splendor, as witnessed by all my percussion shotguns and rifles, as well as all my flinters.

So, yeah! I'm with ya brothers! And SISTERS too, with a big nod to Cynthialee!!

Back