• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Complete and total newbie...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerbob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
See my intro post.

While I own several modern firearms, I've never even shot anything black powder. I think I want to change that. Maybe for all the wrong reasons but I think owning something in black powder might be cool. Flame away if you feel the need.

That said, I THINK I want a percussion single shot pistol. I don't know that I have the patience for something flint lock. No clue what came before that. I also don't think I want a revolver. Perhaps as a second gun some day. I'm almost certain I don't want a kit gun. As I have zero experience with any of these, I'm open to having my mind changed with a strong argument. Oh, and I want to USE it. It's not going to be a wall trophy!!

Anywho, I found a Gastelu percussion belt or sash pistol in .69 caliber that looks about my speed. What I'd ideally like is something French or German or Navy as I'm French/German/ex-Navy. :grin:

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I don't need the dueling pistols used by Burr & Hamilton. I would like original tho. I've ruled out kits because it would be simpler just to pick up a .50 cal from Cabella's (sp). For a price point, I'd like to stay under $750.

So, what are my options?

One can never go wrong with a Lyman Plains pistol in either 50 or 54. I have to say I love mine more than my Howdah. For a price tag of around 260 bucks. You cant go wrong. :thumbsup:

I think for $750 you can buy a single shot percussion pistol, AND a reproduction 1851 or 1861 Colt Navy revolver, and all of the accessories you need to get moving in a great new hobby.

Brewerbob said:
Billnpatti said:
Yeah, I saw these first. And if I go new, probably get something like that.

Still looking for something original.

When you say "Original" do you mean something that is one of a kind, or an actual "originaly built during a specific time frame"?

I am afraid you will be hard pressed to find a period original pistol for sale. You may find a custom built "to a specific time frame pistol" from a contemporary builder.

Last edited by a moderator:
lorren68 said:
When you say "Original" do you mean something that is one of a kind, or an actual "originaly built during a specific time frame"?

I am afraid you will be hard pressed to find a period original pistol for sale. You may find a custom built "to a specific time frame pistol" from a contemporary builder.
Doesn't need to be a "one of a kind". Can't afford that and wouldn't want to shoot something like that.

Originally built in 18xx or whatever is what I meant. As for what those time frames are, I've no clue whatsoever. I have seen a bunch of revolvers that seem to be Civil War era. Again, I don't want Robert E. Lee's. Some poor bastard foot soldier is just as good. Some poor sailor bastard better yet.

trent/OH said:
I think for $750 you can buy a single shot percussion pistol, AND a reproduction 1851 or 1861 Colt Navy revolver, and all of the accessories you need to get moving in a great new hobby.
I like the sound of that. Now where are they?! :thumbsup:

You will need more than $750 for an original, then why would anyone shoot an original you will just wreck it buy a reproduction and you can shoot the daylights out of it . :idunno:

To answer your question about New Jersey and other places Dixie and the other companies won't ship to, it has to do with those States gun laws.
Many of them won't allow even a black powder single shot pistol to be sold there without going thru a licensed gun dealer and they don't want the hassle of doing that.

As for original guns, yes, for the price your suggesting you might find something but in all likelihood it would be suitable for collectors, not for shooting.
These old original guns were often fairly weak to begin with and adding 160 years to them can often weaken them to the point of being dangerous to shoot.
It takes a good black powder gunsmith (someone who is not easy to find) to really be able to evaluate your purchase and tell you if it is shoot-able.
Also, the replacement parts for these originals are non-existent so if you break a mainspring you will have to have one custom made, again, by a good black powder gunsmith.

For a person who isn't real sure about getting into black powder, I agree with the others.
Buy yourself a Lyman Plains pistol in either .50 or .54 caliber.
No, it's not a military gun, it is a Mountain Man gun but it loads and shoots the same or better than the large caliber smoothbore pistols used by the Military.

If you order from Cabela's don't bother getting the "shooting kit" or whatever they are calling it.
Rather, go to Track of the Wolf and buy a "cleaning jag" in the caliber suitable for your gun.
Also, buy a "Short Starter" which aids in getting the tight fitting patched ball into the muzzle.

Buy some lead roundballs which are .010 smaller than your guns caliber. A .50 cal uses a .490 ball and a .54 caliber uses a .530 ball.

Your percussion pistol will shoot either real black powder (which is difficult to get locally) or one of the synthetic black powders like Pyrodex or Seven7seven.

I'm pretty sure that after you've fired your gun a few times your going to be hooked.
These guns are capital FUN to shoot.

nmarlowe said:
One can never go wrong with a Lyman Plains pistol in either 50 or 54. I have to say I love mine more than my Howdah. For a price tag of around 260 bucks. You cant go wrong. :thumbsup:
Ditto on that. Just got my Lyman .54 last month and its a hoot to shoot. I also shoot flint but "needed" a percussion pistol to fill a gap on the wall. I would recommend a modern production pistol and shoot it a bunch. Continue looking for the original model you want and just enjoy its looks!

Personally, given your parameters I would cast about for a Thompson Center Patriot.
I have one of these guns and they are an excellent percussion pistol suitable for target or plinking pleasure.They also can be had for around 450.00 last I checked.
Also have a horse pistol in .54 but like the TC much better for all around shooting. It's not a military or exact copy of anything traditional but more or less along Hawken lines I would say. MD
P1010757-1.jpg

P1000735.jpg
Horse pistol (home made).

Back