• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where can I buy scrimshaw tools?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soggy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the name of a source for scrimshaw tools? I have made a few horns in the past and most recently have been working on one using Scott Sibleys book as a guide. In the book they suggest to use an X-acto knife for cutting in the design, I have done this and it works ok for the most part, but I would like to get a tool for scribing letters , I find the X-acto knife is difficult to use when the designs are not straight lines.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Soggy :thanks:

Well you can use just about anything sharp a large sewing needle is what I plan on useing, or a awl reshaped and pointed to a very sharp point heck you can even use a large nail reshape it and put a nice point on it . :imo: :m2c: :front:

Exacto and some others make a very short bladed tool that swivels and will turn at will. Needles and such want to follow the grain of the horn, where as a blade will cut and turn across it with little variation of the desired course. Check your local hobby supply. The blade itself is only maybe an 1/8th long and triangular, mounted in a swivel head.

I've used an exacto knife with a fine point to do geometric designs. There really are no special tools to do scrimshaw, other than natural talent.

Just :m2c:

There really are no special tools to do scrimshaw, other than natural talent.
:: Looks like I'm in trouble ::
Thanks for the advice fellows, I'll make a couple of different tools and see what works best for me
:thanks: Soggy

get a dental pick from your dentist

Ditto checking with your dentist... I checked with mine... when I told him what I needed he took me into a back room and pulled out a cardboard box full of used picks, scrapers, etc., and said "take all you want". He only made me promise not to tell any of my BP club friends where I got them... he said something about not wanting a bunch of guys with names like "Squatting Elk" and such hanging around his office :crackup:

I told him if he would just a have look in their collective mouths he would find the money to pay for his new Ford Expedition. ::

I use a three sided carpet needle in a drafting pencil holder. I have to wrap a little tape around the needle but it works for me.

I've found that an old victrola (sp.) needle inserted into an exacto handle works the best. They are a bit hard to come by but can be found at flea markets, antique shops, etc. :imo:

:thanks: Thanks Griz; Wart, that's kinda what I was looking for , something practical that I could adapt to do the job. It's kinda rural where I live (50+ miles to the narest dental clinic ,150 to the nearest city). So if I can't buy it on line, I have to make it myself.
Soggy :front:

Ok soggy check with a company out of Lodi ohio call the LOG CABIN SHOP.GO TO (logcabinshop.com)or you can call them for a catolog 330-948-4307 good luck

I saw some last week, but cannot find them. Somebody has a set of shortened exato blades made for scrimshaw. I have searched and looked but cannot find them. Sorry! :hmm:

Hey soggy, this knife looks like the one in the book > log cabin Knife< I used a x-acto knife on the one I did. I would like to try something else next time. Some of the suggestions sound good. :front:
Lehigh...

This is what I use. carbide push button scribe. At Brownells.
:thanks: There that's exactly what I was looking for. One small problem, when I bring up that sight, it shows :
. " Dropped by Brownells"
It shows the replacement points are still available . I may call them in the morning to see if they have a substitute for this item.
In the mean time does anyone know of any other source for that scribe?
Thanks; Soggy

Sir,
I use a heavy needle that has been sharpened to a triangular cross-section. By turning it a little one way you can cut a line or a curve while turned a little the other way, it will scribe. Mine is set in an antler tine and doubles as a triangular awl for sewing leather. Works like a charm.
Black Hand

I used to use a retractable drafting pencil and replaced the lead with
a steel spike made from drill rod. works well.

Good Luck

I saw another tool that might be good for scrimshaw and am going to get one..it's an Xacto knife..a small one that has a real small little blade that will swivel 360 degrees. Special made to cut curves and circles, etc. only takes the one blade. The little blade is about 1/8" wide where it goes into the handle. Should be good for stock inletting also.

Latest posts

Back