• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti '62 Pocket Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Can those of you with an Uberti model of Colt '62 get good enough accuracy at 15-25 yds (2.5") to hunt small game with it with a fair rest (shooting staff or such)?

As you know, shooting a pistol accurately is difficult so different folks will have different results but as far as the inherent accuracy of the Colt '62 police goes, it is as accurate as any other Cap & Ball revolver.

As I've mentioned before, these guns have the small Colt 1849 frames so the grip is small and the weight is light.

With a good support to keep the gun from moving around they should work very well on small game like bunnies.

Someone had made the comment that they just weren't very accurate. And since small game offer a small target I figured it was worth asking those who own them.

I am certainly not the best of shots, but with a good enough rest I can do fairly well with practice.

I've often read of Colt's shooting quite high. I'm not sure if that also holds true with the pocket models, but I'd likely do what was necessary to have the sights close enough to dead on at 15 or 25 yds if there's enough room for it (I'd prefer to deepen the groove in the hammer than to add to the sight's height).

Also, make sure you don't have a short arbor. Mine is and I made a spacer for it. A tight wedge and a short arbor can tilt the barrel a few thousandths.

That seems to be the one concern I have for Uberti models of Colt revolvers.

How did you make this spacer? And from what?

Once made the two holed shim from hobby shop brass strip.
Also once made a dovetailed front side (for a $50 percussion revolver) from hobby shop brass. It worked so I was happy.

rodwha said:
Can those of you with an Uberti model of Colt '62 get good enough accuracy at 15-25 yds (2.5") to hunt small game with it with a fair rest (shooting staff or such)?

I will ask my brother about his.

I don't know what Sam'l C. was thinking. I mean if they had two models of pocket police and one shot dead on at 50 feet and the other at 75 yards I can guess which would surely sell better. Why would a police detective want to be a sniper?

(My '62 police I've shot for many many years. And never at 75 yards)!

Really depends on the pistol itself. I have a '62 from CVA that groups well enough that I pulled the brass cone front sight & made a higher blade for it. (Left a nub on the bottom to fit in the old sight hole, silver soldered in place.) It's about the second most accurate "Colt" I have, & will give me rabbit sized groups at 25 yards. But I've had varying results with different makes of Colt repro types over the years. Some won't group in a barrel at 15 yards, others do well in matches. You sorta get yer gun & take yer chances.

Back