• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cimmeron 1860 Civilian Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T.

54 Cal.
Reaction score
As one of my previous posts revealed I have been on a Quest for a new Cap & Ball revolver. I had initially wanted a Second Generation Colt but they were hard to find and very pricy. It was not actually the money but a reluctance to pay over $650 and then shoot it. Yeah I know that's what they are made for but anyway if they ever made a 1860 without the stock cut out I was unable to find it.

After reading hundreds of posts and on line searches I decided right or wrong that I knew exactly what I wanted. It was the Cimmeron 1860 Civilian model. Now all that remained was to find one. I found one in a small but well supplied gun shop not 70 miles from my front door. I drove over to check it out knowing that if it was near as nice as I had read and seen in pictures I would own it soon!

I have to say up front that I will try to master the art of takeing and posting pictures. But there she was! Absolutely fantastic royal blue good case on other parts. No shoulder stock cut outs and very nice figure in the grips. It was love at first sight! She's mine now.

After fawning over it last night and this morning
I came to grips with the fact that I had bought this beautiful revolver to shoot. I gathered up the things that I needed and headed to the range. Today here in east Texas was 77 degrees. Nice!

I loaded 23 grains ,felt patches and 454 Hornady balls. I was shooting at 25 yards at 8 inch Shoot and See targets. I was shooting alone so when my very first shot with this beauty was a dead center bulls eye I was laughing that I was alone to pat my self on the back. I fired 18 shots and the results was a average 2 1/4 inch groups resting my forearm. I am sure that as I get used to shooting this gun and juggle the charge a little I will be able to better this.

I spent an hour cleaning her up. This was the first time that I had used moose milk to clean pistols. It just melts the powder off. It cleaned up well enough that after 18 shots it looks absolutely unfired!

Being a discontinued (no more case frames on this one)model and a Cimmeron it was no great bargin but this is one happy camper! And yeah it shoots 5 inches high at 25 yards! :grin: Geo. T.

The Uberti I had 30 years ago and stupidly eventually traded off, shot best with all the FFF Goex that would fit with mild compression to seat the ball just flush and some lube over the ball.
It would shoot 6" or less at 80 yards with this load and it was my constant companion for a couple of years.
You will find that plain water cleans BP as well as anything and is a lot cheaper and easier to make. Water in the actual cleaner. Everything else is someone's imagination. Though the grease/oil on the cylinder pin may need some dish washing detergent added to warm water to remove.
I have had a number of Colts over the years and none were as good or at best no better than this Uberti imported by Western Arms.
The second gen Colts BTW are Uberti's assembled in the US and then not even by Colt. H&R IIRC.

Dan

Congrats,You will have a lot of fun with it. If looking to pair it up Uberti still sells a 3 screw,non cut,brass backstrap model (340480). I guess I'm assuming yours has a brass backstrap........

No it is steel backstrap. The same handgun is available now with a blued frame. One other thing that I noticed is thst the cylinder chambers are slightly camfered sp? this aids in seating the ball. With the 454's there was a very slight ring of lead removed. Another thing with the 23 graain load the Remington #10 caps were not blown apart. They did flair out and were easy to remove once the gun was empty. I did not suffer any binding though. I was useing a 38 special case for a measure. I may try a 357 case to see if the small increase of powder will open the caps enough to have them drop off when indexed.

This fairly light load was accurate enough for small game hunting and although it ended up fairly deep in the chamber even with the felt pads you could tell it was not a wimp load.

Geo. T.

it required fliping each off when rotated.

I'm using 454s,30 grs 3f and oxyoke wonder wads as lube under ball. Very accurate......

Historically, Uberti has taken pride in producing accurate reproductions of their cap and ball pistols and their 1860 Army is no exception.

For this reason, just like the originals, the Uberti 1860 has a steel backed grip frame with a notch cut into the bottom of it and the "fourth" screw(s) on the sides of the frame for mounting the shoulder stock.

+1 on just using water. I have found over the years that anything in the water makes mud of the powder residue and smears it all over the bore. When I kept getting black cleaning patches I decided to rinse with water low and behold the bore was pristine after that. I use a water hose to clean percussion revolvers in summer, but mine are the cheaper Tally models.

Bob

I agree they do a great job of recreating Colt firearms but as I have said previously on another thread I have never found evidence of an original 3 screw with brass backstrap as they have for a civilian 1860 which is on the Uberti website....

The Cemorron modle that I got is CA047C00 It has the charcol blue and case on the steel frame as well as a steel back strap. The gun is not cut for the shoulder stock and there is no relived area on the bottom of the grip. In the bright sun light the blueing is something to behold as is the case on the frame. The scene on the cylinder is a little lite but she shoots dead on and only 5 inches high at 25 yards. I did a further detasil cleaning tonight and when I removed the nipples to put anti sieze on them I found that they were only finger tight. That's on me! I know better but just had to get to the range! Geo. T.

If you have any available, try a full charge of 2F. Leave just enough room to seat the wad deep enough so that it doesn't interfere with the ball centering itself when you start it in the chamber.

Use a good bit of ramming pressure as well. Not as much as you would for Pyro, but maybe 2x as much as for 3F.

In my guns this is a softer shooting load than 3f, and usually a good bit more accurate. You can then back off a bit on powder checking for accuracy, but usually the full charge is just as accurate.

Once you get a load worked out you can have a 'smith make and install a taller front sight to bring POI down.

Yours would be period correct,nice purchase. My Paterson has the charcoal blue...........

Back