• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking about getting a revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
And was curious what you guys considered the best brand and most practical caliber? I know you can buy "kits" that have everything you need in it but didnt know how good of quality they were. Aleo where can I read up on them and educate myself?

Thanke,
Brian

pietta or uberti

I would sugest a 1851, rebel model in .36 or .44
The .36 is pc but the .44 isn't. It is a cheep and servicable gun that will get ya started.
Personaly I prefer the .44's but the .36 can be plenty of fun.

If you want a really powerful revolver then get a Walker or a Dragoon.

I never put together a kit, but I own (or have owned) several different "brands" of Italian reproductions, IMO Pietta and Uberti are both fine made revolvers. Caliber?...both! I still think the best choice (for a beginner) is cheap and cheap equals the brasser confederate Navy (fantasy gun) although its not period correct they are the cheapest on the market and if you dont overload them you can get many many enjoyable trips to the range out of one. Cabelas has them on sale a couple of times a year.

I heard from a gun dealer once that if I ever got one not to get a brass framed one. I am just looking for something to take to the range a couple of times a year to plink with.

if it is just for a few trips a year to the range and you do not load over 25 grains of 3F powder the brass frame is perfect

I have a brass frame 1851 .44 'fantasy gun' as the other comenter called it and I absolutely love it. Shoots well. Didn't cost much and when I have it on my hip, it is a nice heavy reminder that I am well armed.

The brass framed guns will not stand up to repeated maximum loads over a period of time. They do ok when shot with light loads. For value, quality & versatility (heavier loads & more serious reenactors), I would look for a used but well cared for Uberti 1851 Navy (this will be a .36 with a steel frame). The .36 used less powder & lead than the .44 and has less recoil should you want a wife or youngster to try the gun. Many think the grip & balance of the '51 have never been bettered. The steel frame will last as long as you care for the gun & will have a better market should you ever want to sell.

If you are looking for the best black powder revolver, there is no question that it is the stainless steel Ruger Old Army Black Powder Revolver. Just as soon as I say that it is the absolute best black powder revolver available, someone will take issue with that statement. They would be wrong. The readily available Italian revolvers are a lot of fun but most are not target quality revolvers. The ones with brass frames are fun to shoot with reduced loads but heavy loads will eventually warp the frames out of alignment. Forget the kits. If you want a really good black powder revolver, save up your money and buy a Ruger Old Army black powder revolver. They aren't all that much more expensive but they are a LOT more quality for your money.

If you can't get the ROA, then a 1858 New Army or 1860 Army would be nice ,in 44 cal. of course.I think Cabelas has some on sale now.I used to think I wanted a Walker but they are so big,but they do have the power. Do you want to hunt with it , use as back or just have fun with it?

As I understand it, the most frequently replaced parts are nipples, springs and screws, all of which, fortunately, are readily available or can be easily made by the average gunsmith. The major parts, fortunately, seldomly fail unless you are pretty rough on your guns. Most of those parts are still available but not all are easily found. Even so, I still think that the ROA is the best black powder revolver out there when you can find one.

Well I certainly couldnt argue with a gun dealer they are the experts.....like reenactors they do know their guns. no more advice goodbye

shifty said:
I used to think I wanted a Walker but they are so big,but they do have the power.

Too true. There's a certain allure to these giant revolvers, but they're not very practical. I have an Uberti Dragoon and 1860 Army. The 'goon rarely sees any time in the field. It's just too big and heavy. The 1860 goes with me frequently. It's a real pleasure to carry and shoot. :thumbsup:

edit: You can tell the Walker and Dragoons were designed for cavalry guys, where the horses did all the carrying. I guess if I rode horses I'd take the Dragoon out more. :grin:

I whole hardily agree with exception of the stainless part but they are more practical if you can stand to look at them. :grin: I'll take a blued Ruger personally.
A little stone work on the trigger nose, hammer full cock notch and about 1.5-2 coils clipped off the trigger return spring and they are match ready.I have never heard of one that was not accurate and well made.I'm rather surprised that they shoot as well as they do though with as rough as the barrel interiors are on them. They don't seem to lead up either.
I have two Pietta's and they both needed some attention to bring them up to match speed but they are both as accurate as the Ruger as far as I can tell. I doubt they are as strong though. MD

I read somewhere recently,(perhaps here) that the original Walker Colts had quite a few cylinder failures because they were not steel but rather wrought iron. Is this true?
IN the dragoons they began to make them of steel and was the main reason for the reduction in size. The steel could handle pressure much better.
I read so many different sources of gun related stuff I forget where I saw it. MD

Let me tell you the story about black powder pistols. I've owned several, Walkers, 1860's,Ruger Old Army, Dragoons, CVA single shot, and TC Patriot single shot.

I have had Pietta's, Uberti,2nd Gen. Colts, CVA, and TC. I love to shot them, but they are a pain to clean, especially the revolvers. You're happy when you buy them, and can't get much out of them, when you sell them. But, here's the kicker, they are addictive. You sell one, and few months later you're wanting another one.

I have two Ruger Old Army's, and looking at buying a Dragoon, or maybe a 1851.

I watched too many Clint Eastwood movies, maybe that's the problem.

Heck, just pick one and buy it, cause it ain't going to be the last one.

hadden west said:
Let me tell you the story about black powder pistols. I've owned several, Walkers, 1860's,Ruger Old Army, Dragoons, CVA single shot, and TC Patriot single shot.

I have had Pietta's, Uberti,2nd Gen. Colts, CVA, and TC. I love to shot them, but they are a pain to clean, especially the revolvers. You're happy when you buy them, and can't get much out of them, when you sell them. But, here's the kicker, they are addictive. You sell one, and few months later you're wanting another one.

I have two Ruger Old Army's, and looking at buying a Dragoon, or maybe a 1851.

I watched too many Clint Eastwood movies, maybe that's the problem.

Heck, just pick one and buy it, cause it ain't going to be the last one.
yeah this pretty much covers it
I only have one at the moment. But it certainly isn't the first one I owned, nor is it likely to be the last.

I've been on the hunt for a good working 51 Navy recently in .36 cal just to add to the 58 Rem and 60 Colt clones I already have.I'm not ready to pay new price yet but they occasionally show up at the gun shows I attend and may eventually find an orphan that needs a home. MD

Pick what you like. The Remington style is more robust and less likely to get fouled with spent caps like the open top Colts. Pietta's are a great value and you can find near new Euroarms/ASP Remington's on the auctions for the same price. .44 is more common and versatile than .36.

Back