• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning/clearing the flash channel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdwatcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I swear I can have more trouble getting my .53 cal Pederoli Tryon Rifle to spark off than I do my flinter :haha:

Yesterday, case in point. Get to the range just an hour before dark just to fire the gun again before a hunting invite over the holidays.

80 grains FFFg, .525 round ball, 0.005 Ox-Yoke lubed patch.

This time I used the issue ramrod with its closely-fitting jag to swab the bore between shots rather than my usual range rod.

Ran a dry patch between each shot and one time got the ramrod stuck (that never woulda happened with my smoothbore flinter), a smidgen of water down the bore of course softened the fouling and the ramrod and patch came right out.

But now the fouling in the flash channel was damp :doh:

Several dry patches swabbing the barrel later still no luck getting ignition, no time either in the fading daylight to dismount the barrel for a full cleaning.

Some time back I had a feather quill that I could insert through the access screw hole on the side of the drum and push this flexible quill through the breech, physically unobstructing the flash channel, said feather since worn out with use.

The times I have problems with ignition with this gun its always been flash channel issues.

Does anyone make a sort of artificial feather quill or other tool I can use to clear this channel?

Thanks,

Birdwatcher

How about a pipe cleaner?. I have used them to clean through the channel after I took out the nipple. Can dip in alcohol to help clean. Drys fast. Hope this helps. Dilly

Carry a pipe cleaner and a bit acetone or alcohol with you.It's those dang powder chambers and slanted flash holes that get clogged up when you push the dry patch down between loadings.

Boar-dilly said:
How about a pipe cleaner?. I have used them to clean through the channel after I took out the nipple. Can dip in alcohol to help clean. Drys fast. Hope this helps. Dilly

X2 .... A HUGE fan of alcohol to clean and "dry" with and q-tips and pip-cleaners to get "in there" with.
:thumbsup:

Thank you for the replies all.

Seems like pipe cleaners are the common denominator.

Genuine question from someone who ain't smoked in ages.....

Where does one go to buy pipe cleaners?

Birdwatcher

:grin:

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2239_66163623.jpg

:doh:

The area in Wally world where they sell tobacco products should have pipe cleaners as well as tobacco shops,grocery stores, Liquor stores etc.

As with all things, you can get them at Amazon. Make sure you're getting cotton ones for smokers, not colorful nylon ones for crafty sorts.

You can always find them in the craft area of Wally World or Hobby Lobby, etc.

I cheat! When Auto Zone has their carb cleaner on sale I buy several cans. One squirt and then dry barrel and pop a cap or two and your off and running. I have used acitone but on sale this stuff is cheap. It evaporates very fast. I use more oil now with fewer pronlems and I feel better knowing that the barrel is protected. Geo. T.

The trouble with petroleum products that you won't find with natural oil like rendered bear oil is it makes tar in the bore when mixed with BP fouling because it is not water soluble.Any moisture trapped under petroleum will rust right underneath. Petroleum base gun oil is not really compatible with muzzle loading for this reason.
We found this out in black powder cartridge shooting while searching for good bullet lubes to keep the fouling under control. MD

I forgot to add that this is one of the reasons I'm incrementally switching to the Gunzilla bore cleaner from Hoppe's if it proves out as it has no petroleum in it.Petroleum products are fine to protect the bore if you get them completely dry first but if you mix petroleum in the bore with combustion it leaves tar in the fouling and can be a real bear to get out because when burned on it makes carbon. Carbon fouling is every bit as hard to get out of a bore at times as is leading. MD

CVA packages a pipe cleaner with a brass or copper wire in that aids in cleaning. I use them all the time, to clean the nipple. When the end gets dirty, I use wire cutters to clip that portion off, and save the rest.

Sportsman's Warehouse has them. Probably Gander Mountain and others have them too.

I think you learned that dry patch swabbing in between shots is not the way to go. Dry patches have a tendency to push fowling into the breech and to stick in the bore. A damp patch with spit or whatever liquid you choose works best. Run it down the bore and let it rest a few seconds to allow the fouling to soften and then pull it out. Repeat with the other side of the patch and then follow with one dry patch, both sides. Do not use an up and down stroke thinking you are scrubbing the bore, that will force fouling into the breech area. Assuming you clean everything nicely after shooting, dry and oil, then all you should have to do prior to shooting is swab the oil out of the barrel with a dry patch and snap a cap or two to blow the oil out of the nipple. A nipple wrench, screwdriver and pipe cleaners are good back up tools to have on hand.

I think you learned that dry patch swabbing in between shots is not the way to go.

Ya, the thing is I ran out to the range so quick I didn't even bring water or solvent, and never have much luck getting up enough saliva to swab the bore.

Hence the dry patches this time, found an old nearly empty bottle of water in the trunk after the ramrod got stuck.

I usually dont use the ramrod that came with the gun either as its fiberglass, but did this time on account of I'll be taking the rifle afield.

Thats how that all happened, likely familiar with anyone that shoots muzzleloaders where, unlike with modern firearms, ya practically gotta bring along the kitchen sink too.

I liken shooting blackpower to fishing... it takes time, ya gotta be patient, and you'll be needing a whole tackle box full of accessories.

Birdwatcher

cynthialee said:
yep, infact I have been looking for a good tacklebox just to put all my BP stuff in it

After you have been at this for a few years there won't be a tackle box big enough to hold all yer stuff. :doh:
Wal-Mart is the place to start for that beginners tackle box. :wink:

Rifleman1776 said:
cynthialee said:
yep, infact I have been looking for a good tacklebox just to put all my BP stuff in it

After you have been at this for a few years there won't be a tackle box big enough to hold all yer stuff. :doh:
Wal-Mart is the place to start for that beginners tackle box. :wink:

No joke... You need a good plastic tool box measuring 15" high by 20" wide and 10" deep with room for can of powder to stand up in. MINIMUM! :wink:

cynthialee said:

I've been using one of these tool boxes.- Plano tool bo

The groove in the lid is perfect for laying a range rod in since it can't roll away then.

You want to watch the carb cleaner, it will remove most any stock finish. How do I know?
David

Back