• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First wabbit with new flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well It’s not my first wabbit, or the first one I take with this particular rifle, nor my first one with a flintlock.. Wow that sounds confusing.. It’s my first of the season and the first with the newly converted to flint little .32.
We had a nice little snowstorm yesterday here in Northern New Mexico so I called my boss and told him I was going to be a little late. Boy do I have an Understanding boss!! Amen for that!!
Drove out to a spot I have hunted many times before and took to looking for tracks. I was a little worried cause it took me a while to cut the first one, but my worries were soon gone as the tracks I was following soon crossed another set, and then another, and then another... soon there was so many tracks they were hard to follow. I turned on my Mountain Man mode and slowed down and read each track carefully, trying to stay on the same track. I zigged and zagged through the forest always looking ahead for the tell-tale pink ear, brown spot or black eye. As I crept along reading the sign, the track went into a small sagebrush, and never came out. The gears in my head grinded to a stop, The bunny was still in the bush. I peered into the small bit of brush to see if I could spot him, when in the grandest of rabbit fashion, he bolted! I watched him as he zigged and zagged in the sage brush until he was gone. With my heart into overdrive (good thing I'm on Blood pressure medication!) I took up the trail. Soon his energetic running tracks changed to hopping again. As I slowly followed, I spied movement to my left, he was hooking back! I watched where he went and made a little circle to cut him off. He busted from under the Juniper and ran about 40 yards and stopped behind a large sagebrush to check me out. There were branches everywhere! I crept forward at an angle to shorten the distance for a shot. At about 30 yards I could see his eye, framed by split in the braches. I pulled the little rifle up and pulled the hammer back, lined up the sights and squeezed the trigger. The rifle cracked and belched smoke in the blink of an eye! I could see him doing flips and then he stopped. I walked up and thanked the good lord for making my aim true and giving me the opportunity to put meat on the table. I also thanked my little brother wabbit for being a great opponent! He done his brethren proud.

Unfortunately my time in the woods was limited, I did bust a few others but as the snow melted it became difficult to read the sign so they gave me the slip amongst the rest of the tracks.
Hope you all get to have as much fun as me !!! WoooHoooo I love Huntin' with black powder and flintlocks!!!!

121012a.jpg

Great job. Now that was a heck of a story! Makes me look forward to some snow so I can try it.

Jeff

Back