• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Hessian Diary of the American Revolution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent! Dairies and first hand accounts from ordinary witnesses are my favorite historical sources.

I have read that, and it's good, but if you want the best account of weapons and equipment, you might also want Burgoyne's translation of Georg Pausch's Journal and Reports of the Campaign in America. Pausch was a quartermaster, and so sent letters and kept records of what he had issued and what he had to "make do" with for the men. IIRC by reading both you find references to tin soldier's kettles, issue of British private's tents to German subalterns, using striped cloth to fashion trousers for the soldier as no other stout cloth can be had..., etc.

Before he died, Mr. Burgoyne did several other translations of journals, so there may be even better references in those for the material culture of the soldiers in some of those.

I think most of his stuff is available in PDF form on a disc, which will help you locate stuff if you are in a hurry for a reference.

Heritage Books has them. They have a pretty large assortment of other journals, diaries, and record books too.

:grin:

LD

Thanks for that link.The UOK Press has a big sale at X-mas with a lot of books marked down,some up to 80%,is pretty much why I asked about that one,it was a sale book.

Loyalist Dave said:
Heritage Books has them. They have a pretty large assortment of other journals, diaries, and record books too.
I have another of Burgoyne's translations which I can recommend. It has been many years since I read it, but I remember enjoying it a lot.

Eighteenth Century America: A Hessian Report On the People, the Land, the War, As Noted in the Diary of Chaplain Philipp Waldeck (1776-1780)

Spence

Back