• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothie long gun...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NO flaming, thank you. After all this time and many posts, I'm sure you guys have gotten a good hold on the way things are over here in yUK with regard to guns and shooting, but just in case you haven't figured it all out yet [like me] this is to advise you that you can have as many SMOOTH-bore guns as you can want as all smooth-bore guns over here, no matter what they actually look like, are classed as shotguns. The shotgun license for a single or a double is as easy as pie to get hold of, especially if, like me, you already have what they judge as an ENORMOUS number of REAL rifled guns [18 but who's counting?] In fact, having got your easy-to-get shotgun license, you can have literally as many as you want or afford - a pal of mine has over 200.......yup, that's a 2 followed by TWO zeroes.

My query is - bearing in mind that a custom gun is out of the question in these straitened times - what in your opinion represents the best BFYB [bang for your buck] in smooth-bore long guns? And yes, we can get just about everything that you can, especially the stuff that comes from the Eyetalian pensinsula.

I'm listenin'...

tac

Well Iam Bess biased (pedersoli )but there are some great prices on US builders guns at the moment , some are only $100 dearer than a cheap import. Type G's ,Officers muskets .

1601phill said:
Well Iam Bess biased (pedersoli )but there are some great prices on US builders guns at the moment , some are only $100 dearer than a cheap import. Type G's ,Officers muskets .

Meh, I'd dearly LOVE to have a real US-built custom gun, but if you read a thread I posted on a couple of weeks ago, about getting a custom-made gun from the USA to over here, then you wouldn't be askin', and puttin' the hurt on me like that... :td:

Like I wrote - it's really what European gun is recommended, thanks anyhow.

tac

Good luck tac, I hear you :thumbsup:

I need a flinter in smooth too, Bessy's keep popping up but I really would go for a Peder' trade gun if I get chance.

Maybe one day.

B.

Whoops sorry , I thought you could get in yank guns , that leaves the pedersoli's . The trade gun with some cosmetic slight changes would be nice too :thumbsup:

laffindog said:
I've shipped flintlock smoothbores from the US to the UK. What's the problem?

Not a problem for a rich American, of course.

A $1500 gun in the US is a $3000 gun by the time I'd have it in my poverty-stricken and trembling old hands here in yUK.

tac

Were I you, in between trips to The Armouries, I'd collect Pedersolis. The Bess is a cornerstone.
P8090840.jpg

The Northwest/Indian Trade Gun is very nice (and my own latest).
PedersoliNorthwestTradeGunII.jpg

But my personal favorite is their 1777 Charleville.
villeA1.jpg

villeB1.jpg

I'll stop there. That's just where you should begin...

Well the Pedersoli Indian Trade musket isn't a bad shooter..., it just leaves much to be desired as far as cosmetics is concerned. If you simply want a flintlock shotgun, Pedersoli's Mortimer in 12 gauge is a better gun..., if you are also concerned with time period and cost, then the only thing out there is the Trade Musket (imho).

LD

I would offer a suggestio to try Loyalist Arms. They import Pedersoli as well as Indian made guns. I have one of the Loyalist Arms Long Land Pattern Brown Besses. It might be worth a look. My bess is a good shooting gun.

Tac,
what laffindog says opens some options for you.

I know it's not gonna be very cheap but you'll get a good gun for the money. The Pedersolis are not cheap to buy either (except if it would be a used one). A Pedersoli Bess would cost you about 1000 GBP that would be about $1600 right now.
Shipping would be around $300-400 depending on the length. I don't know about the import regulations in the UK.

Well, long story short: here is what I did:
Went to Friendship bought a gun and brought it home with me (some twists to the story but that's not important) - it was easier than I originally thought. Checking it in only cost me a Saltwater rod case for transport (Cabelas $100) no extra fee with Lufthansa for "sports" luggage.

Do you have to proof it? Is there import tax?
Again, it might be easier and cheaper than you think.

Silex

tac,

from european to european, that where i would go for, if you plan to buy an indian gun.
http://www.armae.com/Zenglish/Main_english_page.htm

i bought one of them and had trouble with it. those guys took care of most everything - so at the end i was VERY satified.
but, keep in mind, here in germany we cannot shoot such guns without an official proof. so my french 1728 is venthole drilled just for blank firing.

i bought a Long Land Pattern (already proofed for live firing) from a german dealer, and that turns out to be a piece of manure. badly wood carved & roughly shaped but with a good lock.

greating to the island ;)

ike

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back