• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun for trap shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank44

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a double barrel 12 gauge for trap shooting, and maybe hunting with steel shot. The Cabala's Pedersoli with chrome lined barrels, and screw in chokes looks good. Any suggestions, or words of wisdom?
Frank

Works for me, but, check the locks, the left is very hard to pull the trigger. Works as designed and built for a reason to do so, it's a single shot for a reason, safety.

Trap shooting is one shot at a time, so it's not a problem.

Workmanship is nice.

Another option is a T/C New Englander 12 gauge with chokes, lots of matches have been won with it.

I have one of each, I like the looks of a double though.

rde

love my 12 g. pedersoli dbl. w/screw ins. Punch my own wads, its a blast shootin or huntin w/it!
The CVA dbl if you can find one is a nice'un also.
Scott

you don't have to use steel shot either, you can use both bismuth and ITX (nice shot) too.

That's what makes a horse race. I prefer lighter faster handling guns especially when carrying them. Others feel that the weight out front gives a smoother swing, which is a legitimate view.

I shoot a 1888 William Moore double 10 ga. I shoot alot of trap and for ducks I use bismuth. Mine has a pistol grip and I really prefer that.

I have the Cabelas 10 ga. double with screw chokes. The extra full choke will put a dozen #6's in a turkey head at 40 yards. It only likes loose loads, and won't pattern plastic wads for some reason. It shoots great patterns with 110 grains 2F, an over powder wad, a full cushion wad, a 110 powder measure full of copper plated shot, and an over shot card.

I've used it for trap and skeet with good results also.

I'm glad to see all the positive comments on the Pedersoli Double since I ordered one about a week ago. They are on sale...$799. I really preferred the looks of the new English version they have with it's premium curly maple stock, patchbox, and browned barrels, but it didn't appear that one was available with chokes, which was something I wanted...and of course it's about $1600. So I ordered the basic Cabela's version, which is a nice looking gun, just not as nice IMO.

I'd like to have both barrels choked the same depending on what I'm hunting and the gun only comes with one each of x-full, modified and improved. I don't even see the chokes listed as something to buy from Pedersoli and I read on the Cabela's question/answer section that they are near impossible to find. A couple people that wrote to Cabela's answering a question on chokes that fit said the Browning Invector chokes work, but are about 1/32 of an inch short. Anyone buy and use some brand of choke other than Pedersoli?

medic302 said:
you don't have to use steel shot either, you can use both bismuth and ITX (nice shot) too.
I should point out that ITX is not the same as NiceShot/EcoTungsten, although both are useable in traditional loads.

Regards,
Joel

Newtewsmoke: THANKS! This confirms what the Cabela's question and answers had. While not mentioned in the article you referenced, I understand the tool to install/remove the Carlson tubes is different than the Pedersoli, so if buying the Browning Invector tubes one also has to be sure to buy the tool for them.

One can actually get the Browning Invector tubes cheaper right from Browning. I would expect quality to be equivalent (both of 17-4 SS). $26.99 from Browning & $36.50 from Carlson)

The Pedersoli SxS is a nice gun to start with. In my view there is not a better muzzleloadig shotgun to get started with. However, there are two issues which you might want to consider regarding the Pedersoli:

First, I have two Pedersoli SxS and have patterned a number of others. The barrels on many of them are not very well regulated -- that is the barrels shoot to different points of impact. If the barrels on your Pedersoli are not well regulated, that is something which you just have to learn to live with.

Second, if you want to get serious about muzzleloading trap, most serious trap shooters use a gun with a single sighting plane; such as a single barrel or an o/u. On the other hand, most of the dedicated muzzleloading trap guns are not well suited to hunting. So any gun which you start with will be a trade off -- but really fun to shoot.

Moose_Owner said:
The Pedersoli SxS is a nice gun to start with. In my view there is not a better muzzleloadig shotgun to get started with. However, there are two issues which you might want to consider regarding the Pedersoli:

First, I have two Pedersoli SxS and have patterned a number of others. The barrels on many of them are not very well regulated -- that is the barrels shoot to different points of impact. If the barrels on your Pedersoli are not well regulated, that is something which you just have to learn to live with.

Second, if you want to get serious about muzzleloading trap, most serious trap shooters use a gun with a single sighting plane; such as a single barrel or an o/u. On the other hand, most of the dedicated muzzleloading trap guns are not well suited to hunting. So any gun which you start with will be a trade off -- but really fun to shoot.

Yes it is somewhat true that some Pedersoli's shoot the pattern off some, it is however something that one can fix! Been there and done it :hatsoff:

B.

Back