• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Silex Smokes Some Squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
This past Friday MLF member Silex visited me here in Illinois. We spent the afternoon chasing the local bushytails and had a real good time. Both of us missed a couple shots but we also both connected and took home some meat. :thumbsup:
It was very interesting talking with Silex about the differences in hunting practices between here and Germany. I hope we can get together again some day.

Here is a picture of him with a couple of Illinois fox squirrels that he took with my Bess loaded with some 5 shot. Sorry it's sideways, my photo editing program is having issues... :surrender:

possumbranch2012028.jpg

Good shooting Silex! With a borrowed Bess no less.
I guess it was way too much trouble to bring your fowler back over here.

If Silex makes it back to Friendship next June I always have a couple extra firelocks he can borrow for woodswalks and such.

Grizz

Good shootin Silex. I like the gun Jethro. We used to have a few fox rats around my neck of the woods but I aint seen one in 10 yrs or so :thumbsup:

Congratulations to you both !
Jethro, very neighborly of you.
Silex, good outfit...looks like you fit right in with the environment.
:hatsoff:

Thanks everybody!

It was a good time, I enjoyed it a lot.
Actually it was pretty cold and the wind was blowing hard but that didn't really reduce our fun.

As always it is very nice to be able to talk in person, exchange thoughts and ideas directly. Sitting on a bed of leaves between two logs with a loaded flintlock smoothbore across you knees and waiting for the squirrels to come back to this big oak yonder is a nice setup for conversation.

Grizz, thank you for the kind offer, I hope I can take you up on it :grin:
Brits, looking at your post you hat is not far off from this one.

About the clothes (I'll probably start another thread) it's the first outing with them just got them. The hat and scarf are items I usually wear hunting at home and since I didn't have any other I used them. The hat might be a little out of time/place though - I don't know. At least my head stayed warm :wink:

Jethro, thank you again! :hatsoff:

Silex

That looks like a warm outfit!, And good shootin' on those fox squirrels, like Wattlebuster I have'nt seen a fox squirrel in a few years. My Uncle has some on his land but he does'nt want anyone to shoot them. They're Grey Fox squirrels and I saw one albino there a few years back.

Hats off to you Jethro.. :hatsoff: Silex good shooting!

Looks like a couple of 2.5 lbs.rats Nice!

possumbranch2012028.jpg

nice to see people using military muskets for hunting. looks like you guys had a great time!

-matt

Very nice! I'm buying a .36 caliber very soon to take down to LA with me when I visit my folks. I plan on chasing busy tails there for a few days. Anyone in Eastern WA that wants to chase yotes with a smokepole let me know I'll callem for you.

Glad you could come over and enjoy some hunting here. Those squirrels are huge! :shocked2: Jethro must have taken you to his "secret spot!" Now if you can convince him to take you to his secret Illinois buck hot-spot! His state is reknowned for having some of the biggest whitetail bucks in the US.

Same spot. :grin: As a matter of fact I've seen a couple big bucks literally within spittin' distance of where Silex shot them squirrels.
...not this year.

'Course I didn't do any bowhunting this year and have only been out for the 3-days of 1st firearm season so far. I'm hoping to get a crack at one of those bigguns this weekend. 2nd firearm / 1st muzzleloader season this weekend.
Our local herd got hit pretty hard by the blue tongue this summer and populations are down. There is some good sign that at least one big buck made it thru tho.

Minnesota has been VERY fortunate to have so far avoided the EHD outbreak seen in most of our neighboring states.

We did, however, have the very first documented case in Minnesota of a rabid deer not too far from my area. :shocked2: Fortunately that's not something that should spread, but never really thought of rabid deer before. Some guy found it laying in a stream and didn't want this sick deer to drown, so pulled it out and reported it. Both he and the DNR person that came to look at it ended up having to be tested and were fortunately not infected. If you find a sick or dead deer that hasn't been shot and is bleeding out of both ends for no apparent reason...keep your distance!

Good luck on the Big Buck hunt!

Back