• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I know what "Pietta" realy means

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It is itialian for pain in the aspen to clean! :cursing: :cursing:

I shot my 1858 Remington new army revolver today, and it was fun. I am still not sure if I like it, I am almost convinced I would be better served with a single shot .50 cal caplock. I am not used to worring with fillers and gaps to the forcing cone. I like the idea of putting the powder in followed by a patched ball. Any thoughts from other shooters?

Get both! I have both and like em both. Yeah, true story, they are a pain to clean and I never feel good about leaving mine unless thoroughly cleaned each time I use it because fouling always gets down in the lock works.
Guns that are used every day don't need to be taken all the way down for cleaning but if they are going to be put away for any length of time they should have a complete going over. MD

You are absolutely correct. You should get rid of it as fast as possible. Send it my way and I will find a home for it. :grin:

Ya, there are times when the fun of shooting a cap and ball revolver is overshadowed by the 50 to 60 minutes it takes to clean it after. My single shots take 15 to 20 minutes tops to clean. Still love my revolvers though.

Don

50-60 min? It doesn't take me more than 15 unless I detail-strip the gun for a seasonal scrubbing.

:rotf:
I thought yall was about to go off on the 1858 binding, cylinder drag and lock up.

Until I got a 1858 I never had a problem. Colts were all I ever used. In 1977 I could peg a field mouse with a 1861 Colt (did it) but haven't developed trust yet in Remingtons. For a long time it seemed a matter of grace but now it would be termed ergonomics.
A fellow I hunted with back then could put running quail on the table with a Remington but alas, not me.

It also takes me from 1/2 hour to an hour to clean mine. I pull the cylinder, pull the nipples, brush and scrub the cylinder, oil the chambers, clean the nipples and put on anti-seaze, and replace. brush and clean the barrel, then oil. Use a tooth brush to clean the rammer and it's pivot points, then oil them. blow out insides with air can, when I know I am going to reuse shortly, otherwise complete tear down when I put it away for extended periods. wipe down the outer surface and oil. I may have to revise the time. Also got to count in the time of getting out cleaning supplies, and the cleanup of the cleaning afterwards. Doing all this is just part of the fun??

Yes, cleaning your BP pistol is always required after some "fun on the range". You will find shortcuts to decrease your time with experience. I own both an 1858 NMA and a Trapper percussion lock pistol -- seems both require cleaning after shooting. :thumbsup:

fort fireman said:
You are absolutely correct. You should get rid of it as fast as possible. Send it my way and I will find a home for it. :grin:
darn fireman beat me to it, I'll sweeten the pot and trade ya for that 50 single cap lock you want, :wink:

I would much rather clean a Colt over a Remmy, easier in my opinion..Soo since I said that I think I should be punished by you sending it my way...lol

I would sugest yall keep an eye on the classifieds. Depending on how todays range session goes it just may find its way on there along with 3 spare cylinders, nipple wrench, nipples, and cleaning jags.

My wife would get realy mad if I walked up and stuck my pistol in her! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I could not resist, Cynthialee left the door open.

I appoligze if I offended anyone that was truly not my intent.

I don't know how long it takes me to clean a revolver, I never timed myself so maybe that is why I don't really mind it. :grin:
But if you really hate cleaning you might just get a cartridge conversion cylinder and shoot smokeless powder.

Back