• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield rifled musket...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mornin', Gentlemen all - a serious question for you, and no flaming about the whys and wherefores, please.

Here in UK I have a chance to buy ANY of the replica Springfield Models of 1861 [lucky ol' me, eh?]

OR

The real deal from the a well-known American dealer.

I have up to $2500 to spend, BTW.

Obviously, with cost not a concern, I'm interested to hear YOUR take on my conundrum.

Every single one of my present little gun collection has a known history - some of it dating back to 1897 - so ownership of a real WoNA firearm is something that has often crossed my mind. Here in yUK we can freely own a real antique firearm without a licence - there is no ammunition readily available [that's the general rule], but on the other paw, I want to shoot whatever it is that I end up with. A replica - ANY replica - has to be licensed ere I can fire it.

Your considerations/comments are welcomed.

Best to all

tac

When you say no ammo available, and being that the antique rifle would take the same ammo as the replicas, would that create a problem for you in shooting the antique if you bought it? if not you might just as well go that direction and buy the antique and shoot it.

If the real deal is in shootable condition I personally would go that route.It will always be an antique and collectible,the other one will aways be just a used gun.

I would qualify that though,if you are buying for heavy use re-enacting purposes it would be better to go the replica.

tiger13 said:
When you say no ammo available, and being that the antique rifle would take the same ammo as the replicas, would that create a problem for you in shooting the antique if you bought it? if not you might just as well go that direction and buy the antique and shoot it.

In talking about obsolete calibres that are metallic cartridges that are no longer available on the open market from a gun store - Winchester .32-40 or similar. Loose-loading muzzle-loader antiques are, by definition exempt because they ARE antique. All you need to bring THEM back to life is a suitable mould - easy enough to find in mist cases either here in UK [Jeff Tanner] or over where you live [Rapine].

IF we buy an antique that shoots an obsolete metallic cartridge anf wish to shoot it, we must first get in registered, and then find the cases and bullets to make our own ammunition that is no longer commercially available - like, fer'instance, the 11mm/.43 Mauser cartridge, or the 12.5mm Werndl or similar. Same for my pal who collects obsolete calibre Winchesters - he has about thirty or forty, all licensed as he shoots them all with handloaded cartridges that have not been available commercially since before WW2.

tac

Scots Jim said:
If the real deal is in shootable condition I personally would go that route.It will always be an antique and collectible,the other one will aways be just a used gun.

I would qualify that though,if you are buying for heavy use re-enacting purposes it would be better to go the replica.

I don't do re-enactment - I did the real thing for 33 years and that was enough for me, thank all the same.

Needless to say, IF I did, then a replica is plenty good enough.

tac

tac said:
....The real deal from the a well-known American dealer.... freely own a real antique firearm without a licence - there is no ammunition readily available

Your'e talking about a muzzle loader aren't you, so not sure what relevance the ammunition bit is?

Get the original if it is in good shooting order - when you want to shoot it and with a suitable variation add it to your firearm certificate. In due course when you no longer wish to shoot it you can remove if from your FAC and it reverts back to antique status.

The repro. will always be a firearm.

David

Your'e talking about a muzzle loader aren't you, so not sure what relevance the ammunition bit is?

Mr Minshall - I mentioned ammunition as one of the reasons why an older gun, particularly an antique, can be bought without a license here in UK. I already own a number of repros.

Get the original if it is in good shooting order - when you want to shoot it and with a suitable variation add it to your firearm certificate. In due course when you no longer wish to shoot it you can remove if from your FAC and it reverts back to antique status.

Good idea.

tac

WARNING: NOT A SERIOUS ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.

I would move to the USA where we (still) have that right.

Greg

ihuntsnook said:
I would go reproduction. If there are modifications that need to be made to make the gun shoot better you can do so without feeling guilty.

I see what you are saying. If we were talking the last 3, 6, or even 20 guns of this make left in the world, I’d jump on your band wagon. As this is not the case I try to think what I would want if I had been the gun maker. I would want her to make smoke! Shoot if anything I did or made in my life was still relevant (even if it was just to one gun nut on the other side of the pond :grin: ) 150 years later, I’d be as happy as a hound on a bunny trail to have it so. I say get the old girl, and take her out!

Tac, I would go with an original, it will always increase in value whereas a repo will not. I shoot an original 61 with a relined barrel and my wife shoots a 63 built with an aftermarket barrel. I shot a Trenton contract 61 that was unaltered, including the nipple, for years with excellent results. The originals are far better quality than any reproduction and the parts interchange (and are available) with little or no gunsmithing which is not true of Italian guns. Your budget should allow you to pick up a very nice 61 that will only increase in value.

Ray Rapine retired and has sold his business. I have no idea who bought it or when they will be in production but if they maintain the original quality a lot of skirmishers will be glad to see them back.

Tac,
I know you inquired about the Springfield in particular, but being in England you have access to possibly the best rifled musket repros ever made. I speak of the original Parker-Hale Whitworth and Volunteer rifles.

jacko said:
Tac,
I know you inquired about the Springfield in particular, but being in England you have access to possibly the best rifled musket repros ever made. I speak of the original Parker-Hale Whitworth and Volunteer rifles.

Thank you, I already have one of each.

I was looking for an AMERICAN prototype.

tac

I have a Colt Signature 1861 repro Springfield. The quality was great and the gun shoots. I bought it online for less than the cost of the Italian repros.

Colt signature series are Italian repros not made in the USA only assembled in the USA. . they are armi-sports. and as with most armi sport the barrel is over sized both mine are .581's they are assembled in the USA under license from colt to be signature series. :doh:

Back