• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

purchases per year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know y'all are absolutely correct. I was just trying to stir the pot a little. Overall, I tend to buy 1 every 2-3 yrs, but then there have been times when I bought 2-3 in a matter of a couple months, like when I stumbled into a SxS for a price I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough before the guy changed his mind a month after having bought my 3rd GPR. So I will have to say it varies depending on upcoming planned hunts and my financial situation at the time.

Well I know these are famous last words but I am planning on getting just a cpl this year and I'll have what I need for what I hunt lol. Now can't say next year I wont need something else but I want a BP .36 revolver and a matching cal. pennsylvania rifle and I'm thinkin a 50 or 54 GPR percussion or flint depending n what I find in the price range I can afford.

I just keep an eye out. A deal is a deal. Don't need a beginner rifle like an NOS CVA Bobcat with an ugly black plastic stock, but for $65 including shipping,what the heck. I'll be teaching the grand kids some day. Got a few yard sale bargains this past summer and fed my weakness for odd muzzle loader pistols a couple times this year. As long as they come into the house covertly, things are fine.

So if I total up muzzle loaders this year, 5 or 6.

The gun room is 10 by 20. I can still find a little more space on the racks. Or maybe hang some from the ceiling.

Rev,
I hate to tell you this, but its already November, so if you're planning on buying two more this year, you better get on it. Can I go shopping with you? Well, you'll be shopping, I'll just be drooling, but maybe no one will notice. :thumbsup:

This year I bought a T.C 54 Cal Renegade, A T.C 56 Cal Smoothbore, a T.C. Big Bore 58 Cal rifle. I bought a drop in Green Mountain 50 Cal rifle too.
Since they look alike, the wife thinks that I have only one. :thumbsup:

Buy 1-2 ML's per year, build 1-2 ML's per year. I cut my own maple trees. Modern guns I buy already built (milsurps mostly), but am thinking it might be satisfying to start building those instead. Problem is, walnut doesn't grow widely enough in the wild in MN. I hunt with the equipment that gives me the best advantage under the posted rules for the season / species being hunted.

I also like buying the beaters, cleaning them up and making them shoot. Not much profit in it, but trying to keep the tradition alive is most rewarding.

When I look back on my first time around in this game, it seems like I usually didn’t buy that many guns in a year. The thing is though, I did it for over thirty years. I’m sure there are muzzleloaders that I owned and sold that I have forgotten. When the safe walked out the door I lost 19 firearms, ranging from original muzzleloaders to an AR-15. Still, there were enough guns in other locations that I still had several muzzleloaders and modern guns left.
In the aftermath of the theft I resolved to move on to other things and sold almost everything I had involving the shooting game. I was left with some heirloom (kinda) modern guns and a percussion half-stock rifle that had some sentimental value. (The percussion rifle had been built by a friend, one of my first mentors in the black powder game, who ended his own life.)
Five years later one of my stolen guns came home, and it briefly sparked an interest in returning to the game. The returned gun was a flint smooth bore. I decided to buy a flint rifle and bought a .50 caliber Virginia rifle from TVM at their booth at Friendship. It was shot less than fifty times. The following year I sold the smooth bore and used the proceeds to buy another TVM rifle, a southern gun in .36, along with most of the fixings. It was fired for the first time after the first of this year.
This year, the “bug” has definitely returned.
First off, I decided that if I was going to start shooting primitive again I was going to need a smoothie. This was taken care of after a conversation with Matt at North Star West. A few months later I had an Early English trade gun in 20 gauge that is probably the best shooting smooth bore I’ve ever owned.
The next time I got in trouble was after reading a thread on this board about swamped barrels. Of the guns that were stolen, one that I miss the most was an Edward Marshall rifle with a swamped barrel. The .50 TVM shoots great, but for someone with a destroyed rotator cuff in his left shoulder it was a little heavy for offhand shooting. Hey, it’s only money right? I soon acquired a nice, slender, pre-rev war style rifle with a swamped barrel.
That really SHOULD have been the end of it. ”˜Course, it warn’t.
A great nephew has showed a few signs that he might susceptible to a black powder addiction, and I feel it my duty to feed any such addiction.
When a Traditions Crockett showed up at TOW at a price too good to pass up, I bought it. It will probably wind up in Bubby’s hands eventually, but he is still a little too physically small for it.
Then there was the estate auction of another friend’s collection. I bought back the Tingle I’d sold him and an H&A under hammer for good measure.
I’m pretty sure I’m through buying now. Unless”¦”¦
For what it’s worth, the auction referenced above had a listing of around 200 firearms. At the auction there was another sheet listing about a dozen handguns that had not been found until after the original list was printed.
Last weekend there was another auction where even more recently discovered guns from the same estate were offered along with items from one or two other estates.
It’s too bad Paul isn’t around to post on this thread. THAT would have been some interesting reading.

Back