• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

poly wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember them as the poly patch. I never used them, but the biggest complaint I heard pertained to the poor accuracy. It turns out that the concave surface of the "cup" was too smooth to grab the ball, hence there was no transfer of the rifling spin to the ball. The ball would travel straight while the poly patch spun around it. Instant smoothbore. Bill

I've kept a handfull of these. Tried them back in the 70s and wasn't too impressed but I really don't remember why. :hmm:
P1010987.jpg

AlanA said:
And there surely were some prominent gunriters pushing them too. And praising the accuracy and ease of loading....
that is just wrong

I understand putting food on the table, but outright lieing and shilling for a company puting out a second rate product is wrong.

cynthialee said:
AlanA said:
And there surely were some prominent gunriters pushing them too. And praising the accuracy and ease of loading....
that is just wrong

I understand putting food on the table, but outright lieing and shilling for a company puting out a second rate product is wrong.

Amen sister. That's why so many of us don't read the mainstream gun rags. Mostly full of bought-and-paid for writers. See if you can ever find a bad review on any new hunting or shooting product. Just article sized advertizing. :( Bill

Hornady has reintroduced the concept in .50 caliber. I played with them a bit back in the seventies. I never saw any problem with plastic residue since the plastic used was formulated expressly for that purpose. I also never had any accuracy problems, all in all they seemed to work as well as but not any better than a cloth patch. http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-.485-Hard-Ball-System-20-Per-Pkg/

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, had similar experience with them. Still have some in .45, .50 and .58. Never had any plastic residue. Never had a ball move (I'm NOT saying it would not happen and suggest to anybody considering using them to heed the possibilty!!).

If the barrel is wiped between shots, they load easily. I experienced accuracy better than cloth patch in all calibers. On a twenty five yard target one could often find a circle or ring where the poly patch had struck the target face dead head on. :haha:

Even so, I quit using them and went back to cloth patch. Much cheaper and perfectly acceptable in all other respects.

I too used them and found none of the listed bad issue. They worked well for me. Don,t use them now because they can't be found in my area. Did not know that Hornady was making them, most likley want use those, have moved on from that.

CoyoteJoe said:
Hornady has reintroduced the concept in .50 caliber. I played with them a bit back in the seventies. I never saw any problem with plastic residue since the plastic used was formulated expressly for that purpose. I also never had any accuracy problems, all in all they seemed to work as well as but not any better than a cloth patch. http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-.485-Hard-Ball-System-20-Per-Pkg/[/quote]

wow $0.50 each! :youcrazy:

i havent used em and dont think i would even try em. its yet another attempt to fix a problem that doesnt exist, the cloth patch works fine! if you want your muzzlestuffer to be easier to load then simply use a looser patch/ball combo.

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
If I read the ad correctly, the poly wad comes with a round ball for each wad. That is why they are so expensive. When I was shooting those things a long time ago, I think the cost of each poly patch/ wad was somewhere in the 5 cent each range, and I supplied the ball. Still expensive at the time when cloth patches worked well.

price of precut/prelubed patches $5 per 100 that comes out to $0.05 per patch. now if you make your own roundballs (which we all should be doing): the Lee 0.490 mold pops them out at around 0.4 oz each when means you get 40 to the pound. and pure lead over the net is around $1.20 per pound shipped on average (unless your getting ripped off). this means yer .490 ball will cost roughly $0.03. the total cost of your patch and ball is $0.08 per shot!

so $0.50 or $0.08, why the heck would any one use these poly wads?

-Matt

Poly wads: tried some shot cups in my 20ga, left a residue in the bore very hard to clean.

Also tried over-powder wads cut from ice-cream pail lids in both pistol and rifle. All left a residue that seemed like smeared plastic in the bore.

I'd say don't use poly wads in BP.

I tried them (poly patch) back in the 70's in my 1863 Remington 58 cal replica. They were a waste of money then just as now.

Tom

I use the Hornady design which grips the ball alot better than the ones pictured. I can shoot a ball out of my 1/28 twist barrels with these and it's quite accurate. I haven't tried it with over 80 grains of powder but that load groups as good as my 1/66 and 1/70 twist rifles at 75 yards.

The only reason I have them is for my GM long range hunter barrels and it works a whole bunch better than a cloth patch in them.

Back