• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncmtmike

Passed On
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,How "big" is your shooting bag?Can you give me some idea's on measurements?
Thanks in advance! :idunno:

My two primary shooting bags are:

7" wide and 8" tall "heart shape" for rifle.

8" wide x 6" tall for fowler.

HPIM0870.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

Mine are 6-7" x 7-8". Anything bigger is not necessary and only invites you to carry more junk you don't really need.

Bigger bags are neccessary if you can't get your hand inside the smaller ones, or be able to close the flap when your day flask is inside. :v
However, I have known folks that carry their shooting supplies in a large canvas haversack and end up rumaging around in them for 5 minutes before they dump the contents onto the table and pick out one RB to load. Eventually they either buy or make themselves another shooting bag but I think we all start out carrying to much stuff and pair it down as we gain experience and knowledge.

8"x9"x2.5" small thing really

I keep a box full of stuff for range shooting. The bag is for hunting or when I only plan on shooting one of my guns. I need an over sized tackle box or a medium tool box for all the things, hu ha's and widgets.

bull3540 said:
However, I have known folks that carry their shooting supplies in a large canvas haversack and end up rumaging around in them for 5 minutes before they dump the contents onto the table and pick out one RB to load.

Table? That must be some bag to carry a collapsable table. :rotf:

Occasionally everyone should try standing and shooting 10 rounds offhand while reloading in place. That will teach you what is needed and what should stay home in a drawer.

With my hunting/target/plinking/carry gear I can load and fire eight shots without opening the bag - three patched balls in a small block on the horn strap and five more in a block that I carry in a sheath on the back of the bag. My powder measure hangs from the horn neck.

I added some complication last year with a tiny flat priming horn so I do have to open the bag for that. It's a luxury item. :grin:

Practice with what you hunt with. That's kind of the point IMHO. :thumbsup:

Two rifle bags are about 8"x8" and the fowler bag is about 7"x9".
All are plenty big. I expect my next bag to be a bit smaller. A big bag just encourages accumulation of "stuff" that belongs in a haversack or range box, and the extra "stuff" makes it harder to reach/find what you really need in the bag.

A large bag indeed! :grin:

I always ask that for at least 1 round or stage of my club's monthly shooting match that shooters must load from their bags and it's been valuable experience for me learning what works and what doesn't.

Turkey vest with 22 pockets or a fly fishing vest with 38 pockets.
A load in every pocket covers most hunting situations.
Add a couple extra loads in each pocket and you've got small wars covered too.

Does the size of the bag count if you hang all you shooting supplies on lanyards from the bag straps so you sound like a wind chime while walking through the woods?

i used the measurements from T.C. Albert's book ... the pattern comes to a little bit larger than Stupkiller's big bag.

this works for me, but i probably do carry too much junk in the field ... i don't really need the special tool to field dress a politician, should i come across one and it's in range...

After examining several original bags as well as reading the Madison Grant book "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch", what I find interesting is how small many surviving bags are compaired to what is commonly available today.

Most bags run about the size of the ones Hanshi has. Many of these may havve just been "day hunt" bags but it appears they only carried what was necessary for loading in these bags. We are probably caught up in the modern "everything and the kitchen sink" mentality. Possible they saw no point in carrying their mould, tools and cleaning gear in their "shot pouch" when it could be stored out of the way in their haversack or other bag...they wouldn't need them immediately.

Look how much the modern soldier is forced to carry compared to their 18th and 19th century counterparts. 70 pound packs are the norm even when equipment and ammunition has become lighter. :idunno:

Food for thought, J.D.

Latest posts

Back