• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54deland

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Seneca, and it appears to be unfired; always wanted one. Forgot how small and light they are compared to Hawken or Renegade. Gonna work up a load with a 245 gr Maxi-Ball and take it deer hunting. Will keep it under 70 grains to be safe; don't want to crack the stock. Anyone have an opinion on bedding the tang?
PICT0105.jpg

PICT0107.jpg

PICT0104.jpg

PICT0106.jpg

That's a very nice rifle. I'm envious. My Seneca was rode hard and put up wet when I got it, but still shoots reasonably well. As for bedding the tang, that's up to you, but if it were mine I would not run maxi-anything through it and just shoot some .440 ball a resonable patch and 70 grains of 2 or 3 f. .45 balls took deer for a couple of hundred years and will now.
Oh and I have shot maxi stuff in my Seneca and Cherokee and I would worry about the recoil on the stock and sore shoulders and cheeks throwing off the aim on a deer more than lacking power or penetration. Just my opinion and worth what you paid.

I never had a problem with the 45 caliber Seneca that I had. I later traded the 45 caliber barrel for a 36 caliber barrel. Much happier with the 36. I did find the 45 barrel would not shoot as well as the 45 TC Hawken that I have and that was a large part of why I traded it off.

I have a Cherokee in 32 Cal. It is very accurate and fun to shoot. Deadly on tree rats.
My very first BP was a T.C. Hawkin in 45 cal. Was a nice rifle too, but traded for a 50 cal.
Enjoy your rifle. It is a very nice looking one.

I have never understood why folks want and buy a Seneca and then try to make it a magnum. If you want “more” power, the Seneca is not the rifle of choice. :hmm:
Just use patched round balls. You and the Seneca will be happier. And you won't have to bed anything or worry about splits. I love Senecas' but not as big power guns.
You have a beautiful rifle, take care of it. :thumbsup:

Definitely not wanting to turn it into a magnum; have a 54 Hawken for that. I wouldn't consider loading it near the TC maximum for the Seneca. I was thinking more like 60-65 grains of ffg and using a maxi-ball instead of a prb.

one of the main causes of split stocks on t/c's is over or under tightenin' of the lock bolt. some people are just naturally ham-handed & overtighten. then when they shoot it with a few heavy loads the stock splits. others hear these horror stories and in a mis-guided effort to avoid it they undertighten & odd as it seems it has about the same effect.

my opininion & yer welcome to it, bubba.

Moorman76,they are a light, nice handling,small bore rifle.A lot of people use them for squirrel hunting,they are a real nice carry in the woods.They are also very economical to target shoot and no recoil to speak of.I didn't know what the big deal about them was either as I had never seen or handled one.Saw one in a shop one day and loved the way it felt.Sort of collect TC side locks so now I have a Seneca for the collection.

I bought a Dixie 32 like that. Long barrel but sleek, light and Well balanced. I didn't need another 32 but every time I went into that shop I had to pick it up and handle it. The more I handled it the more trouble I had putting it back down until I got to the point that I knew I was going to leave with it, so I gave in and bought it.

I would be worried about this rifle as it seems to have the ability to turn itself around and around on top of a fence post! :shocked2: :idunno: :doh: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Embrace it like everyone has been telling you!

50cal.cliff said:
I would be worried about this rifle as it seems to have the ability to turn itself around and around on top of a fence post! :shocked2: :idunno: :doh: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: Yes, I'd watch that if I were you!

Nice gun :thumbsup:

pretty rifle!!! I've got a 36&45 Both shoot very well.PRB in the 45 and 65gr FFFG have accounted for some deer in the past.Not telling you what to do but I don't think you'll need the conical for whitetail @ reasonable distances.the added recoil can crack the stock.But your rifle and do what pleases you she is verrrry pretty

Nice rifle, I have one in 36 Cal. and have a 45 cherokee barrel for it too. I got mine in the 70's and its still one of my favorite rifles. Your gonna like it.

Latest posts

Back