• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing black powder in a shed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brought 10 pounds of Goex FFFg in metal cans with me when I moved to Nashville in 1992. It lived in an old cooler in a non-conditioned shed for 21 years, then in a non-conditioned abandoned bathroom in a wonky house trailer for another 10 years. The cans still look new and the powder has been performing perfectly for the past 16 months that I’ve been using it.

As a matter of fact, that’s just how I store it in a wood crate. But it’s also taking up storage space which is a premium in my small house so fire concerns aside, I’d still like to know if the powder can withstand long term storage in the shed without degradation where temperature will vary widely. And to that end, wound the vacuum sealing be necessary?
The powder won’t degrade with temperature swings. So long as it stays dry. I’d keep it all in a container of some sort to protect it (a cooler works well.)

The vacumn sealer bags are a great idea. An extra level of protection against moisture can’t hurt.

I don't even like keeping tools or fishing equipment in the garage or a shed.

My basement ceiling is all fishing poles.

I wanted to put my garage shop tool box in the basement. Wife said no.. my tools are in the basement because she said no.

There is space for her in the garage

I keep it there and there in my shop which is not climate controlled, no problems. I still have some metal cans as seen in the picture, a a couple of these in view are from the 60s and 70s. Most of my stash is in plastic cans now. Some of this stuff has been there for over 20 years.

black.JPG

I would say if they are the modern plastic containers, they are fine in the shed. Unfortunately, I had a pound or two of the nice metal containers that rusted through because I hadn’t used them in several years

I’ve been storing my powder (up to 5 lbs at a time) in my basement shop in a metal file cabinet drawer across the room from the furnace. Been doing this for over 50 years without a problem. No worries.

many don't understand that unless confined, powder just burns rapidly. confined it builds pressure.
This is true with modern smokeless powder not black powder!:doh: Black powder is an EXPLOSIVE and labeled as such. It WILL explode not just fizzle and burn rapidly.:ThankYou:

Tips from a long retired former BP dealer;
Insulated styrofoam coolers make good containers for storing a few pounds of black powder & also helps moderate temperature changes.
The tip of my cooler is strapped shut & marked dried beans & rice to discourage theft.

Black powder poses much more explosive power threat when tightly contained in a strong steel container !!
I personally would not store much black powder in a steel insulated gun safe unless it's highly rated against fire as a major house fire could increase the hazard level.

Storing blackpowder in Sweden: When I first began shooting blackpowder weapons e in Sweden about 30 years ago I was living in an apartment with my family. I went into a blackpowder gun store in Stockholm and asked about storing this stuff in an apartment flat. He told me that smaller amounts - 4-6 lbs- could be stored in what looked like a heavy lockable attache case. He told me that the reason the powder will not explode in case if fire is that the case was completely lined in foam plastic. It seems that in a fire the plastic foam liquifies and mixes together with the powder, thereby nullifying the explosive effect of the powder. Since then Swedish bp shooters have built their own bp storage boxes by lining a smaller cardboard box with sheets of foam plastic stuffing their blackpowder inside and storing it under their beds. I’ve kept my attache case but have never experimented with foam plastic. If a member has a sizeable backyard where, you can dig a one-foot-deep hole. Experiment with a small taped-together foam plastic container of blackpowder, Start a fire and kick the container into the fire. I can report your results to my Swedish colleagues to see if they can sleep soundly or not.

Philo

I brought 10 pounds of Goex FFFg in metal cans with me when I moved to Nashville in 1992. It lived in an old cooler in a non-conditioned shed for 21 years, then in a non-conditioned abandoned bathroom in a wonky house trailer for another 10 years. The cans still look new and the powder has been performing perfectly for the past 16 months that I’ve been using it.
Black powder keeps for ever

I keep my powder on the shelf Above my unmentionable ammo, thus way if the powder blows Up the ammo is safe and if a fire sets off the ammo...well I am a lousy shot anyway so the powder should be safe...plus, the closet is on the wife's side of the bed.

But I do realize there are those living is areas that Require all firearms to be locked in a safe and all ammo locked in a different safe...that way no one breaks in and uses your own gun to rob you...I guess.

Best way to keep powder Safe is to keep fire Away.
Lots more stuff in a house, basement, garage, or she'd just as flammable....solvents, cleaners, old rags, natural gas/oil heating (unless you've gone 100% electric).
** Best thing to do: Don't start indoor fires!

I store mine in my garage in a 20 mm ammo can--plenty of room. I even have some in a 5.56 mm can stored in the larger can for added protection..

Back