• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fellers, spring squirrel season opens in the morning here. Low clouds and rain in the forecast but I’m going anyway. Can’t kill em sitting on my butt in the house.

"The whangleather ghosts of Coulter and Glass,
Boone, and Wetzel, and all the old crew,
Paused at their phantom hunting today,
And grinned down from the Rendezvous.

A boy and his rifle have come to the woods..."

Have fun; good luck; they're looking down at you. Wish I could go.

Last edited:
Kinda
Well fellers, spring squirrel season opens in the morning here. Low clouds and rain in the forecast but I’m going anyway. Can’t kill em sitting on my butt in the house.
Best to ya Ed.
It's been a good long while since your last squirrel hunt. You'll have a Blast! Hope you limt out. Be careful Brother.

Take Care Stay Safe

I think the name wolves is a southern thing. Growing up in south Tennessee that's what everybody called them. Never understood why.
I grew up here in East Tennessee and southeast Kentucky and have heard that term all my life. I never thought about wolves being an unusual term until I read this thread. We always knew they were caused by bot flies and everybody called them wolves. We wouldn’t eat squirrels with them. It’s one reason a lot of older folks wouldn’t squirrel hunt till cold weather. I reckon it’s just another one of those southern things like Tim said.

I grew up here in East Tennessee and southeast Kentucky and have heard that term all my life. I never thought about wolves being an unusual term until I read this thread. We always knew they were caused by bot flies and everybody called them wolves. We wouldn’t eat squirrels with them. It’s one reason a lot of older folks wouldn’t squirrel hunt till cold weather. I reckon it’s just another one of those southern things like Tim said.
I always knew them as warbles (Midwest). Never had one on any squirrel I killed in my youth, and our season opened in August. I killed a ton of them in the 2 weeks before it was back to school time. I have shot a couple of rabbits that had them.

Latest posts

Back